One of mi biggest fear seems here...ich?

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where you guys get the CP from?..I can't seem to find it anywhere, same with the Acriflavine MS.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, last fish that made it to the tank were the two suspicious wrasses and it was over a month ago. If Velvet is so aggressive, how is that the tang is just showing it now? Other than his look, everything else on him seems normal.
Sometimes fish with heavy mucous coatings like some wrasses, clowns, etc. can be carriers of velvet. You can see this also when a tank full of fish are dropping like flies, yet a wrasse or clown will be the last fish standing/swimming.

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang still acting healthy. I just ordered the stuff but the CP takes about a week from eBay.
I read that fresh water dips could buy me some time so I hope it does.

If this is in effect Velvet shouldn't the fish start behaving poorly as well?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang still acting healthy. I just ordered the stuff but the CP takes about a week from eBay.
I read that fresh water dips could buy me some time so I hope it does.

If this is in effect Velvet shouldn't the fish start behaving poorly as well?
Depends on how bad it is. Freshwater dips will give temporary relief to your fish :)

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are fresh pics. Still same diagnosis? Bud is happily swimming around and picking on rocks as usual.
ed432db278c2073db40c5d3c99247f55.jpg
fc486d81efe7af0489486ef3c5c0dd70.jpg
762516f1cf1634683dbafd7ebc1b7d2c.jpg

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I surely would have lost all.my tangs by now if it weren't for my African Cleaner Wrasse. Worth his weight in diamonds

images

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I surely would have lost all.my tangs by now if it weren't for my African Cleaner Wrasse. Worth his weight in diamonds

images

Cleaner wrasse or any fish or invert, does nothing to help fish manage ick. All they do is poke at dead skin, not parasites.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks like velvet.

CP (Chloroquine Phosphate) is available in the U.S. only by prescription. If you don't have a very handy Veterinarian who will write you a scrip for a fish (many will not) then go with copper. Get copper levels to full therapeutic values using several smaller doses per day, over a period of 24-48 hours - you haven't got much more time than that, in all likelihood.

Skimjim ... what would you do if your wrasse came down with velvet or ich? (I've never kept the wrasse, but my sharknose cleaner goby died of ich . . . )

~Bruce

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse or any fish or invert, does nothing to help fish manage ick. All they do is poke at dead skin, not parasites.

;Joyful use to fight ich all the time for years in 2005-2013

On a tip put in the African Cleaner Wrasse and haven't seen or lost a single tang to ich in 5yrs.

What a coincidence of dumb luck

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cleaner wrasse cannot reach ich trophonts, because those burrow in under the epithelium (outer skin layer).

Now, "surface" parasites and worms, such as velvet & skin flukes, are another story. However, by the time a cleaner wrasse picks some/most of those off the damage has already been done and the next wave of free swimmers are on their way.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Hyposalinity and have copper ready. If the symptom alleviates over time then it’s ich and hyposalinity will treat it. Otherwise you are dealing with velvet. To me though it looks like ich. The fish is swimming and eating normally doesn’t mean you can get around it. At this stage it is hard for the fish to fight it off on its own.

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suggested to go hypo in the DT for 4 weeks pulling out all inverts and corals. Would this work for both ich and velvet since there is a mix in opinions?
I tried last night to capture the tang for over an hour with no luck so if there is an option to leave them there and treat the DT I'll be very relieved.
Fish is still doing well and this is the 3rd day after I detected it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was suggested to go hypo in the DT for 4 weeks pulling out all inverts and corals. Would this work for both ich and velvet since there is a mix in opinions?
I tried last night to capture the tang for over an hour with no luck so if there is an option to leave them there and treat the DT I'll be very relieved.
Fish is still doing well and this is the 3rd day after I detected it.

Hypo works on ich (most strains) and flukes. For velvet, you'd need to treat with either copper or Chloroquine phosphate.

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new pics, still ich? Sorry for the question but whether it is one or the other means a heck of a difference to me.
Thank you all for your help and patience.
eea1a13fae6ce54f4ed29e78d1f5dea7.jpg
0cb1d873947b7e407a70459516077cd8.jpg

OP
OP
A

ahl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, thanks a lot @Humblefish. I'll take another shot at capturing the fish to do fresh water dips until the meds come. Then figure out what's next for the DT.
I guess we'll see in a few days.

Thanks!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, thanks a lot @Humblefish. I'll take another shot at capturing the fish to do fresh water dips until the meds come. Then figure out what's next for the DT.
I guess we'll see in a few days.

Thanks!

Personally I’d pull all inverts out because it is much easier to do and go Hypo just in case it is ich. You have nothing to lose for trying Hypo now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d pull all inverts out because it is much easier to do and go Hypo just in case it is ich. You have nothing to lose for trying Hypo now.

If its velvet (which seems likely), hypo won't resolve the problem and the fish could die.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum) to me at all. Velvet usually begins around the fish's gills and spreads outward from there, and I don't see that in the OP's photos. Velvet also creates much smaller spots which are more densely and more uniformly dispersed. Fish with velvet usually decline very quickly. It does look like Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) to me. Many fish, particularly surgeonfish, seem to do just fine with occasional light infections of Ich. But either way, the most recommended and most reliable treatments are largely the same. Remove the fish to a separate treatment tank and treat with copper.
Copper-based treatments are readily available from every LFS and many big box stores which carry pet supplies. No need to wait a week for a mail-order medication. I've seen no real evidence anywhere that any other treatment is more effective than copper-based medications.

But yes, the fish definitely needs to be caught and moved to a separate tank for treatment. That is the immediate goal. If you can't catch him with a net, figure out a way to trap him.
Really, all of the fish need to be removed and treated at the same time and the display tank left without fish for some period of time, depending upon the life cycle of the parasite. As I recall, 8 weeks is the generally recommended minimum fallow period.

How big is the display tank and how many fish are currently in it?

And what the heck is 'TTM'?

Last edited:

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its velvet (which seems likely), hypo won't resolve the problem and the fish could die.

I am fully aware that hypo does NOT treat velvet. I am not saying don’t use any other medication... he doesn’t have copper on hand any way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back