One of my clownfish is acting weird.

icehood24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clownfish (wild caught) (that i bought 4 weeks ago) is acting weird. It is not coming up to the surface for feeding time and is swimming mostly at the bottom. I don’t know if he is exploring or something. He is just staying around the microalgae. Also this may be unrelated but both my clownfish are having air bubbles come out of their gills. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Is the clownfish otherwise eating? Has his behavior changed over the 4 weeks you've had him? Any other behavior concerns? Some fish just behave differently than others.

Pictures and a video would be helpful. Otherwise, difficult to give an opinion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

icehood24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Is the clownfish otherwise eating? Has his behavior changed over the 4 weeks you've had him? Any other behavior concerns? Some fish just behave differently than others.

Pictures and a video would be helpful. Otherwise, difficult to give an opinion.
He hasn’t eaten yet today in the first feeding but maybe tonight he will eat. He is usually very active or just sits in one corner. He is also swimming very slow.

here is a video (and yes i’m aware of my algae issue and will handle it)

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing unusual jumps out at me in the video. So, it sounds as if today is the first time he hasn't come to the surface when you fed them, but previously he has eaten regularly? If that's the case, I would just observe for the next day or two to see if anything else evolves.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn’t eaten yet today in the first feeding but maybe tonight he will eat. He is usually very active or just sits in one corner. He is also swimming very slow.

here is a video (and yes i’m aware of my algae issue and will handle it)

The orange clown is breathing a bit fast, but not really bad. Does the tank have good aeration, something breaking the surface tension of the water?

I can *almost* get a hint of some cloudiness on the clown's skin, not sure if that is there in person though....

Jay

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back