One of my clownfish seems to be laying down and not swimming?

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason one of my ocellaris clownfish is laying down next to one of my rocks and the other clownfish is fine and active. My Valentini Puffer also seems to be doing fine and is constantly roaming the tank. Every time i walk over to the clownfish that is laying down it will get up and swim aorund but besides that it seems to sit still. I did a water change today and made sure the salinity and temp was the same as my tank. I also cleaned my filter and powerhead like I do every week.

After checking my water parameters everything seemed to be in check so I am not sure what is wrong. I did notice that pH was a bit low though (like 7.5-7.8 instead of the normal 8-8.2).

pH - 7.5 to 7.8
ammonia - 0 ppm
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 10 to 20 ppm
temp - 80 degrees
salinity - 1.024

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not able to help with diagnosis as other members here, but I know questions that can help them:

How long has the tank been set up for?
Any physical differences? Spots, glossy eye, etc
How long has this been going on for?
Any additional behavioral acts? Quick dash, rubbing against rocks, fast breathing

Any chance to upload a pic? I'll let the pros take it from here, but maybe post in the fish disease forum next time

Best luck!

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was doing that very same thing. I even thought it was dead, went to get my net to scoop him out, when the net got close he started swimming around. Unfortunately he did die for real a couple days later.

OP
OP
R

Riley Pasha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that was doing that very same thing. I even thought it was dead, went to get my net to scoop him out, when the net got close he started swimming around. Unfortunately he did die for real a couple days later.
do you have any idea the cause of death?

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ich flare up going on at the time, but the clowns deaths were still mysterious. They looked physically fine, but both died in one night.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, answers to the questions posed above will be very helpful along with pictures. Also, were any of your current fish qt'd?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back