One of my Clowns Disappeared.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to do my morning feeding as usual. When I put it in the tank, I’ll drop a little of it where the clowns hang out on the back wall. Only one clown there. Started a search for the missing one and couldn’t find it anywhere. Increased the search under all the rock structures looking for possible remains and still nothing. Checked around the tank in case it jumped, but nothing. It just disappeared.

I do have a fire shrimp in there which is bigger than the clown. Could it have possibly caught it and ate it? The little clown always hangs out in the top back corner of the tank and I’ve never seen the fire shrimp go more than 6” off the bottom of the tank.

Jetson

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a better search around the tank. Unfortunately, it did jump. Found it behind the tank. Really don’t know what would have made it jump. I’ve never seen any fish or shrimp be aggressive toward the clowns. They have always just hung out in their own little space. Very sad!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a better search around the tank. Unfortunately, it did jump. Found it behind the tank. Really don’t know what would have made it jump. I’ve never seen any fish or shrimp be aggressive toward the clowns. They have always just hung out in their own little space. Very sad!
Sorry for your loss.
I doubt the shrimp had any involvement in that.
They can get startled or jump when chased, especially when hanging by the top. Likely chased by other as a normal behavior.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
I doubt the shrimp had any involvement in that.
They can get startled or jump when chased, especially when hanging by the top. Likely chased by other as a normal behavior.
Yeah, probably the other clown. The other clown was a bit bigger. Plus it jumped in an area it’s never in, so it had to have been chased there. Oh, well. I’ll have to wait a while to get another. Just doesn’t seen right not to have two.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish don't always need a reason to jump. They don't understand that jumping out is death... it isn't easy to jump out of the ocean :p

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably the other clown. The other clown was a bit bigger. Plus it jumped in an area it’s never in, so it had to have been chased there. Oh, well. I’ll have to wait a while to get another. Just doesn’t seen right not to have two.
They do just fine on their own.
But note that the single one if not already female, will turn female in time, so, when you introduce a new one, make sure it’s say 1/2”-3/4” to ensure it’s a male juvenile. In addition, matching patterns seems to be easier and more successful then two different.
Good luck

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do just fine on their own.
But note that the single one if not already female, will turn female in time, so, when you introduce a new one, make sure it’s say 1/2”-3/4” to ensure it’s a male juvenile. In addition, matching patterns seems to be easier and more successful then two different.
Good luck
Thanks. That fits with what I want. I’ve never been one to like the weird clown designs. These two were both true Percula with the classic design. Thats my favorite. That’s what I’ll look for.

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting some type of netting over your tank.
I just went to local hardware store and purchased door/window screen rails and connectors, and some 1/2” screen mesh.
They sell everything at the local big box hardware stores. Fish will jump, no way around it. I have mesh screens on my 210 and occasionally, I find fish in the overflows.
They basically jump, get pushed back by the mesh netting and end up in the overflows, lol!
It’s better then on the floor. If it wasn’t for the netting, they probably would have ended up on the floor.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That fits with what I want. I’ve never been one to like the weird clown designs. These two were both true Percula with the classic design. Thats my favorite. That’s what I’ll look for.
Maybe down the road you can give them a nem…..
Mine never ever stray more than foot from this BTA.
D3E98C1B-FF9C-4989-B479-83B3FCAD7B31.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be the ultimate objective.
If you do, put it in before corals and give him a month.
They don’t stray often if light and flow conditions do not change.
Then work your Corals around the nems spot.
In my case, I introduced the Nem to a separate rock which provides for easier movement if the need arises.

Best of luck

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back