One of my Ocellaris Clown died today. Thinking about getting another one...

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked that this morning she seemed fine but then died out of a sudden... Now I'm devastated, so is my other lonely clown.

I'm getting another clown tomorrow. Should I get an Ocellaris or Percula? The remaining clown in my tank is Ocellaris (10 months old). I want them to pair and breed. Heard that Perc can crossbreed with Oce, but I'm not sure. I like both species though.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe and don't lick your toes!

GoodKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. Fish typically dont die of "no reason".

As to your question... it depends on the fish. I have a perc and ocell that live peacefully together and became opposite sexes at the terminal stage. However, they never mated.

If mating is your sole concern get two ocell.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. Fish typically dont die of "no reason".

As to your question... it depends on the fish. I have a perc and ocell that live peacefully together and became opposite sexes at the terminal stage. However, they never mated.

If mating is your sole concern get two ocell.

@adromero @Copingwithpods
I did test the water today but only salinity and nitrate. Salinity maintained 1.025 as usual and nitrate is 20ppm. I don't have other test kits, like alkalanity. Is it essential?

Other livestock, even the more sensitive ones were fine (dispar anthias, blue star leopard, emerald crabs, hermits, snails, urchins...)

However, I did do water change two days ago, but only 5%. The blastomussa suddenly died. Mushroom, birdsnest, duncan, and gsp were all fine though. So I assume there's something wrong with my water parameter that killed the clown? My tank is 10 months old.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd wait a couple of weeks. Sorry you lost your clown. :(

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble keeping clowns. Then I found out why. Blue Chromis. I hope you find yours

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op are you using rodi? I would mix up a gallon a fresh water and test all the parameters, if you are keeping corals you'll need the essential test kits on hand otherwise you're flying blind.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op are you using rodi? I would mix up a gallon a fresh water and test all the parameters, if you are keeping corals you'll need the essential test kits on hand otherwise you're flying blind.

Yes rodi, I did test TDS every time as well. What other test kits beside the basic ones? I have pH, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and salinity.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back