One of the Most Fascinating Things I've Learned

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I apologize for the lack of activity, as I finally moved from San Diego to LA. Anyways, I wanted to come on here today and talk about one of the most interesting topics I've discovered. This can be applied to LPS as well, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. But some months ago, I had seen another user's post about how they never remove coral skeletons. In the video, he showed one of his SPS, that had seemingly passed months before, however there was polyps and flesh back on it. His theory (and a few others), is that when a coral "dies", stemcells of that same coral will remain dormant until their proper needs are met. Intrigued by this, I decided to follow this method, and vowed to never remove another coral skeleton from my tank. From just a couple months of practicing this, I have noticed a huge "new coral" presence on a majority of the skeletons I have. So, the reason for me telling you guys this is to say NEVER THROW AWAY CORAL SKELETONS. As I believe most of us are here for the same reason, to care for and further propagate the illustrious species that we deem special, I encourage all of you to stay faithful, and of course, take utmost care.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly skeptical.
I assume there’s not a single documented case. Or scientific study.

I’ve had acros completely die except for a single radial polyp. After months, it eventually started encrusting over the old skeleton. Fairly common.

Also, that’s not even remotely what stem cells are or how they work. If it’s anything, it’s not that lol.

Imo post should be changed to Don’t throw away live corals.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a firm believer in not removing the skeletons. It hasn’t always happened in my experience but I have had it happen on a few occasions. I don’t remove plugs from melted zoas either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back