One of the most important tests there is for your reef aquarium is often overlooked!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True story, I'm always telling people to take it slow in steady, when rushed it almost always ends in money gone and someone giving up. Things can go bad very fast in a reef tank, and a friendly reminder to chill is always welcome.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off totally agree and I’m the worst at it!

Curious what people think “mature” is. I used to think part of the answer was the tank’s ability to self generate bacteria/planktonic foods, hence the original concept behind refugia and in some ways I think “tank maturity”. These days there are SO many prepared and live plantonic foods available so that availability, particle size, and seeding for continued growth of these foods are often times available from day one. It makes me wonder what is the actual scale for maturity? Just time? Maybe it’s bacterial populations which would basically be a measurement of time....

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off totally agree and I’m the worst at it!

Curious what people think “mature” is. I used to think part of the answer was the tank’s ability to self generate bacteria/planktonic foods, hence the original concept behind refugia and in some ways I think “tank maturity”. These days there are SO many prepared and live plantonic foods available so that availability, particle size, and seeding for continued growth of these foods are often times available from day one. It makes me wonder what is the actual scale for maturity? Just time? Maybe it’s bacterial populations which would basically be a measurement of time....

Mature in my book is (at a basic level) a suitable and stable microbiome (bacteria/archaea/fungi, etc.). And since so many start nowadays with dry rock, the slow approach is even more critical to allow this to develop fully. While there are many products to add some biodiversity, the vast majority of the typical reef dwelling microbes can't be cultured in a lab. True live rock/live sand and similar supply these critical organisms.

It could be argued that a 'more mature 'Mature'' is when a stable macrobiome is also present (pods, worms, coralline and green alga, etc.).

Last edited:

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All about patience baby!! I got plenty of it! Especially when I run out of cash....ain’t got no money to buy anything even if I wanted too so im forced to sit around and be patient ;Bored

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key. Hey my new build, the tank itself arrived last octobe if i remember right. It just got water 2 weeks ago. I dose the good bacteria every day like clockwork. When its done cycling its done cycling. Clearly i wasnt in a hurry when i built it out, im clearly not in a hurry to cycle it. When its ready it will be ready, and i will add a little bit of life. I want to enjoy my tank more this go round. Nothing should be rushed. Sit back and enjoy the whole ride.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, people who are looking to get into reefing see the pictures of tanks that have been running for years and say I want that. The problem is they didn't realize that the tank, has in fact, been running for years. We all are guilty of it at some point. We all want the instant saltwater tank. We usually fail at the beginning as a result, some give it up while others, myself included, actually learn what the meaning of what patience in a tank really means. I wish their was a way to show the reason why we all say have patience, that we have failed because of the lack of patience, and learned the hard and expensive way.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning stages the algae/bacterial progression is the most obvious: diatoms, then maybe GHA or cyano outbreaks and finally/ hopefully you are. scraping purple.
In yearly intervals It’s interesting watching all the assorted rock types mature; a whole lot of things change and or get lost in your tank over time...if you ever keep certain wrasses and Angels, some of the cool things on your rock will simply be consumed in short order....likewise things you don’t expect show up ( snails, shrimp, limpets et) ...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back