One of the most important tests there is for your reef aquarium is often overlooked!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the most important tests there is for your reef aquarium is often overlooked by new and seasoned hobbyists alike! What is it?

You can test for just about anything these days but remember you can't get your reef to maturity without time! The test of time is one of the most important and critical factors of a successful reef aquarium. Water parameters can tell you a lot of things but one thing that can't tell you is tank maturity. (for the most part)

Set your tank up and relax! Don't move fast! Take your time! Speed in a reef aquarium is deadly!

There is some reefing wisdom for you today! :p

speed-kills-slow-down-roadside-sign-illustration-bruce-stanfield.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

I have been testing often recently and I am noticing how much time it takes to evaluate Alk, phosphorus and nitrate/ nitrite.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in a society of instant gratification.

While I agree with your post, too many people see a wonderful tank and decide they want one too. They think of a reef tank much in the same way they think of a TV; that it is something you can pull out of a box and have set up in a few short hours.

As experienced reefers with thriving tanks, we understand this is not the case.

My failure to think outside the box had me thinking of water chemistry tests.

The test of TIME... Good one Rev!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No Offense to any given reader:

I HAVE SEEN AS OF THE LAST 4 MONTHS MANY WHO HAVE ASKED " WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO CYCLE A TANK"

Let's forget Fast and have a plan !!
People who fail to plan, , , , P l a n - t o - f a i l . . .. . put quite simple.
Also, there are many who state " I couldnt resist" and I predict the approximate time they will post on the forum EMERGENCY.

Revhtree has posted what is a good reminder of the most dangerous term in reefing: F A S T

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a counterpoint - I see an awful lot of posts on here telling people relatively new to the hobby to "just wait" when there are obvious problems, and things they could be doing to help the maturation of their tank.

Every time someone tells a newbie "You don't need to watch your alkalinity yet," I want to scream.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a counterpoint - I see an awful lot of posts on here telling people relatively new to the hobby to "just wait" when there are obvious problems, and things they could be doing to help the maturation of their tank.

Every time someone tells a newbie "You don't need to watch your alkalinity yet," I want to scream.

Good point too!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man there are some awesome quotes in this thread!

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, as a new reefer, it's tough to go slow. You see so many amazing tanks posted that you want to be a part of. The only thing that holds me back from tossing in some corals is all of the "Emergency" threads I see posted. Many of these are new reefers who are rushing which leads to dead fish and corals. I got my desktop tank to be relaxing to look at while I work. A crashing tank or dead fish would be the opposite of the relaxation that I'm going for.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will say, as a new reefer, it's tough to go slow. You see so many amazing tanks posted that you want to be a part of. The only thing that holds me back from tossing in some corals is all of the "Emergency" threads I see posted. Many of these are new reefers who are rushing which leads to dead fish and corals. I got my desktop tank to be relaxing to look at while I work. A crashing tank or dead fish would be the opposite of the relaxation that I'm going for.

Hey it's tough for us all trust me but I get it! It's like how we also try to go fast when it comes to algae in the tank or coral colors etc..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most important tests there is for your reef aquarium is often overlooked by new and seasoned hobbyists alike! What is it?

You can test for just about anything these days but remember you can't get your reef to maturity without time! The test of time is one of the most important and critical factors of a successful reef aquarium. Water parameters can tell you a lot of things but one thing that can't tell you is tank maturity. (for the most part)

Set your tank up and relax! Don't move fast! Take your time! Speed in a reef aquarium is deadly!

There is some reefing wisdom for you today! :p

speed-kills-slow-down-roadside-sign-illustration-bruce-stanfield.jpg
TLDR :p

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
There are three things needed in this hobby. Patience, Patience, Patience.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tanks are amazing because people have researched and taken their time.

I see people scoffing at how slow things were taken 'back-in-the-day', but taking it slow had shown early on that it gives the best chance of long term success.

So yeah, think more 'VW Beetle slow' as opposed to 'Corvette fast' when it comes to this hobby :)

Last edited:
Back