mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is not selling your images nor using them for-profit

Plz quit guesstimating what you think you know
Lol please stop misrepresenting what I said. I never said R2R was using our images for profit. I said that by posting you are giving up ownership. If you dont ownn the image you cant sue for copyright infringement.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think LiveAquaria.com puts a watermark on their images? Explain that.

So other online sellers dont rip off their images they have copyright for.

I'm not fighting with you on this. As a past person in Video Production, I know media copyright. So I'm stopping the babble

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong... go out and download hi res images of Celebrities from Photographers.

Offer a service where you take the images and print out nice 8x10 glossys for sale. Say $20 a Print

See how long your biz lasts b4 lawsuits.

Lol are you really that ignorant. There are two issues here. One is that using a likeness of an individual is a different case case than just copyright infringement(depends on how it is used). Second - I never claimed people can download and use images for profit....I said in this specific case we give up ownership of that image when we post ot on this site.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol are you really that ignorant. There are two issues here. One is that using a likeness of an individual is a different case case than just copyright infringement(depends on how it is used). Second - I never claimed people can download and use images for profit....I said in this specific case we give up ownership of that image when we post ot on this site.
How many hours/days have YOU spent across the table talking with Media Copyright Lawyers?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think LiveAquaria.com puts a watermark on their images? Explain that.

I'm not fighting with you on this. As a past person in Video Production, I know media copyright. So I'm stopping the babble
Obviously to protect their copyright and prevent others from using it. You see they actually still own those images when they post on their site.... Did not realize it was that hard to understand.

FYI to the "past person in video production"....I am a "current person in marketing". I know this topic very well

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously to protect their copyright and prevent others from using it. You see they actually still own those images when they post on their site.... Did not realize it was that hard to understand.

FYI to the "past person in video production"....I am a "current person in marketing". I know this topic very well
sorry but @mdb_talon gets my vote here

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not fighting with you on this. As a past person in Video Production, I know media copyrig

Not really applicable as mdb said. there is definitely a copywrite issue here but I think its now between r2r and the website that used it

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The way I read the R2R T+Cs is that you give permission for R2R to use anything that you own the copyright to, that you post on the forums. It doesn't give them your copyright.

That said, is there not some perspective to add? Whilst there might technically be a copyright issue here, is there really a need to go on an all-out legal assault for the use of one photo that the vendor probably found on the internet via a Google search?

The OP initially seemed quite happy for their image to be used until everyone started shouting 'copyright violation'. If the OP genuinely isn't happy then surely the first option should just be to contact the vendor, explain the situation, and ask them to take it down? An immediate response of threatening legal action is just an opportunistic money-grabbing attempt IMO.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I read the R2R T+Cs is that you give permission for R2R to use anything that you own the copyright to, that you post on the forums. It doesn't give them your copyright.

That said, is there not some perspective to add? Whilst there might technically be a copyright issue here, is there really a need to go on an all-out legal assault for the use of one photo that the vendor probably found on the internet via a Google search?

The OP initially seemed quite happy for their image to be used until everyone started shouting 'copyright violation'. If the OP genuinely isn't happy then surely the first option should just be to contact the vendor, explain the situation, and ask them to take it down? An immediate response of threatening legal action is just an opportunistic money-grabbing attempt IMO.
we just said OP could get a little something since they were already cool with it. i agree with you on last sentence but I just felt it was a crappy thing to do since if they pulled it off r2r the original poster of the picture was right there and easily approachable

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I kind of agree, but on the other hand from a business perspective I know how costly it is to use images the legal way, and hate to see companies that just take other images illegally. It is very hard to prove and most of the time not worthwhile. In this case it is a hobbyist and not someone who takes pictures as a livelihood....but in many cases it is the other way around

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is that using a likeness of an individual is a different case case than just copyright infringement(depends on how it is used).

You need to brush up on Misappropriation of Likeness, Marketing boy

Lol at least read the posts. See in where post #63 I reference how using a likeness is a different issue because apparently you didnt(and still dont) understand how that is a different issue than simple copyright infringement.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol at least read the posts. See in where post #63 I reference how using a likeness is a different issue because apparently you didnt(and still dont) understand how that is a different issue than simple copyright infringement.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
we just said OP could get a little something since they were already cool with it. i agree with you on last sentence but I just felt it was a crappy thing to do since if they pulled it off r2r the original poster of the picture was right there and easily approachable

A quick Google search shows this image posted on Reddit a year ago. The OP of that thread has been suspended. They might not even know that it was previously posted on R2R.

can you explain this to me like im 5 you know a lot more than me here im just confused:

OP posts to r2r, TOS says r2r then has ownership of image. If the website pulls the photo off r2r how is it the OP who has the case

Have you read the R2R TOS? It doesn't say that they have ownership of the image. It just says:

Photos, articles, and posts submitted to our forums may be used by Reef2Reef in the sharing of links and articles.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get anything off it just isnt worth it. The best youll get is them deleting your picture and replacing it with another off google image and probably refusal to serve you in the future lol

If you're a professional photographer and its affecting your income or a large corporation was using it thats a different story but its just too much time, effort and money to pursue legal action for a random picture of your fish being used by a small business. Yeah its not right, and legally it is your property but at the end of the day its not hurting anyone either.

Back