One of the online stores "borrowed" a photo of my Wrasse :D

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick Google search shows this image posted on Reddit a year ago. The OP of that thread has been suspended. They might not even know that it was previously posted on R2R.

Have you read the R2R TOS? It doesn't say that they have ownership of the image. It just says:
"When you create an account to use the forums here you are agreeing to abide by the rules and user agreement of Reef2Reef. All data entered as post, photos, attachments, belong to Reef2Reef."
this was thing i was referencing im prolly just interpreting it wrong

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this so hard for you? Most social media sites you post on include a ToS that gives the site royalty free use of your photo without limitations.....it does NOT give the photo ownership away. Depends on the site, but that is the case with ones like facebook/Instagram/etc.

That is not the same terms with R2R(and most similar forum type sites. You give up ownership of posted content. It is clear in their ToS. Whether they act on that is an entirely different subject.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just keep posting articles after article?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just keep posting articles after article?

His point is that its not their permission to give once they post it on r2r

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Unless you have permission, you should not distribute, copy, display, or reuse someone else’s photos for any product in which you or your company will benefit, including reports, proposals, presentations, social media, and web sites.

The Fair Use doctrine does not apply to for-profit companies. Large global companies are perfect targets for copyright lawsuits. Juries have awarded more than $1 million in damages for copyright infringement. "

- Fertile Ground Communications, Marie G, May 24, 2020

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Unless you have permission, you should not distribute, copy, display, or reuse someone else’s photos for any product in which you or your company will benefit, including reports, proposals, presentations, social media, and web sites.

The Fair Use doctrine does not apply to for-profit companies. Large global companies are perfect targets for copyright lawsuits. Juries have awarded more than $1 million in damages for copyright infringement. "

*non copyright person, impartial 3rd party POV*

I dont want to put words in his mouth but from what i can tell @mdb_talon is not arguing that theres not a case here hes arguing that its between r2r and the vendor since by posting the image gave r2r ownership

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all true, this is theft. Clarksville Pet store should take their own images or pay for someone's images.

We can get into semantics of how hard it is to keeping a fish store in business. Doesn't change they fact they went online and lifted images that they did not pay for to support sales.

It is still OPs image. Reef2Reef has authority, via him posting it here, to reuse it. Not for someone else to use it.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His point is that its not their permission to give once they post it on r2r

You guys are saying all R2R pic's are fair-game under R2R policies/Tos. Totally fair game, can be uploaded, downloaded, shared, whatever, free and clear.... In a general sense, eeeeeehhhhh yeah kinda (tilting hand side to side)

But when it involves a for-profit seller, the game changes.

I'm saying when a for-profit seller is making money off your photography, you have an arguable legal case.

Good night.. i'm done arguing.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont know any other way to make it clear that the ToS you agree to are legally applicable. Using examples from places with a different ToS is irrelevant.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are saying all R2R pic's are fair-game under R2R policies. Totally fair game, can be uploaded, downloaded, shared, whatever, free and clear skate.... In a general sense, yes

I'm saying when a for-profit seller is making money off your photography, you have an arguable legal case.

i dont want to argue im genuinely curious as i never discus legal issues lol. can you address my last post so i can stop being confused

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are saying all R2R pic's are fair-game under R2R policies. Totally fair game, can be uploaded, downloaded, shared, whatever, free and clear skate.... In a general sense, yes

Nobody is saying the images are fair game they are not. What I am saying is you give up ownership when you post here. That does not make them public domain, but it does mean you are no longer the injured party when someone uses them

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have the right to host your images here as you submit it as content. We do not have the right to sell your photos. This photo in question still belongs to the OP and the issue is between them and the store.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the right to host your images here as you submit it as content. We do not have the right to sell your photos. This photo in question still belongs to the OP and the issue is between them and the store.

thank you!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well there we go

now go get yo money lol @Subnautica

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of stuff being said here.. The vast majority of it is simply irrelevant.

Has ANYONE looked up your legal rights when posting a photograph online? Is the original image copyrighted? If it was posted here, does R2R grant copyright protection to us all for our images? If it was posted elsewhere, you would have to look up that specific hosting sites copyright protection information.

Can you PROVE it is your image? If you have nothing else but your word to back up your claim that the actual image posted is your own, you might as well forget the whole thing. The court does not care one bit about what you say, what he says, what they say yadda yadda.. they care what you can PROVE, period.

There is so much legal grey area around what our rights are when it comes to online content. The vast majority of it is simply considered public domain once posted.

You could ask the store for some recompense, but it is not the store owners fault I am sure. He paid a web designer to build his site and most likely has never even seen the photos themselves nor cared where they came from.

My advice, be proud that you took such a fabulous picture that someone would want to use it for their advertising. Have a cold beer and enjoy your tank. It's simply not worth the headache (and expense) to consider legal action.

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: thank you guys for the discussion. I was busy and didn't see all the latest comments. Anyway looks like they removed the sale or it's out of stock.

Whether they respond or not, I'm cool with my picture on their site. What's more important is I'm glad I made this topic because thanks to you guys I've learned a lot of new things.

Screenshot_20210618-230131_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^you had a small amount of leverage on them, and let it go….
So yeah sometimes pressing them for some type of compensation might be beneath even someone like me, even if they made the cheesy move 1st…
nice show of some class :cool:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: thank you guys for the discussion. I was busy and didn't see all the latest comments. Anyway looks like they removed the sale or it's out of stock.

Whether they respond or not, I'm cool with my picture on their site. What's more important is I'm glad I made this topic because thanks to you guys I've learned a lot of new things.

Screenshot_20210618-230131_Chrome.jpg
What we learned here is you have the rights for. The image and that they s*** themselves and did read your message.
if you are lucky you may even get a response.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back