One of the saddest things are fish jumping to their death...

How many fish have you had jump to their death in your reefing career?

• None

Votes: 175 25.8%
  • Very Few

Votes: 297 43.9%
  • Several

Votes: 155 22.9%
  • Way too many

Votes: 46 6.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.6%

• Total voters

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I lost a Midas Blenny to my dog barking like a maniac. The lid is back on the tank and will forever be, now.

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on lost a few when I had a rimless tank, not any more since I upgraded to a 120g with a full canopy

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brackish mollies would get spooked all the time when I came into the room, eventually 2 of them jumped to their death; I also had 1 or 2 knight gobies jump to their death. Those fish were awesome... but its hard keeping a brackish tank because it's just absolutely as boring as it gets. No corals and no FW plants.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted too many. I had 1 fish, a cherub angel jump. It was my favorite fish. I was lucky and it never bothered my corals. I forgot to put the lid on one time too many.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None so far, knock on the wood.
Things i do-
  • I design my rock work to provide enough hiding spaces for my fish. add or remove rocks if need be. If a fish likes to hang out at a particular spot/hole I make sure it has a clear way to reach it.
  • Never rush across my tank to spook them.
  • I knock on the tank before feeding so that every one knows food is coming. this way accidental knocks don't startle them. they all come to the front expecting food.:)
  • clean my glass after lights go out. Only judge is out after lights out judging my cleaning practices.
  • only add fish and coral in the evening
  • try to follow a fish plan & QT fish that might have issues/fight over same food so that they get used to each other before going in the DT.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great white shark GIF

Make sure your fish food SINKS

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just resigned to the fact that I will not keep known jumpers. My last two tanks have been rimless and IMO putting a screen on top ruins the aesthetics of having a rimless in the first place. However, I wouldn't be opposed to putting one on at night when it's lights out. I did keep a melanurus wrasse in my rimless 65 gallon for many years and it never jumped.

MoorishIdol814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few jump in my freshwater days 15-20 years ago. Does a Clownfish going down your return and finding him in the sump count? Had that happen once when I didn't have the strainer in!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any jump out, but I did have one of the female mandrins swim up the tube of the hob filter and get her head crushed by the fly wheel inside the housing. ( Reminded me of the scene in finding nemo where he puts the gravel piece in it. Except it was her head. )

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any jump out, but I did have one of the female mandrins swim up the tube of the hob filter and get her head crushed by the fly wheel inside the housing. ( Reminded me of the scene in finding nemo where he puts the gravel piece in it. Except it was her head. )

outeastreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say I have had four or five jump over the years. Particularly wrasses it's not if there are going to jump but when. Always when I'm at work.

Mr Mumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 jumpers! Well Mabye one jumper and one slider. Blue spotjawfish and a Mexican turbo snail! Weird right? The jawfish found the half inch space beside the overflow. Fixed that. The turbo slid up the canister drain pipe and out. Ugh not sure how to stop that but I’ve got a small price of cardboard in there at the moment.

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I've lost any fish to jumping since on my old 40 build I used glass tops and then later egg crate and when my 90 gallon was purchased it came with two screen tops. If I didn't have covers though, I would have definitely lost quite a few fish at this point.

When it comes to my wrasses they are hitting the screen top at least 1-2 times a day when either when getting spooked or up towards the top grabbing something from the surface of the water.

I am starting a 180 long wide build this year and gonna be putting together my first build thread but without a doubt, I will be making my own screen tops for the tank "especially since I plan to have mostly wrasses and fairy wrasses.

datBme150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhomboid Wrasse x2
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (just transitioning to male)
Candy Basslet (didn't know they would jump)

I have a top. They main have jumped during cleanings and didn't see them. Very bad days on all.

MattB69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost 2 over the past couple weeks. I have a screen on top, but left about 1 inch gap on the back side. First was a six line, and then my 2 year old black and white clown. I have since rebuilt the screen to cover all of the tank.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several fish go carpet surfing until I put egg crate along the back of my canopy. That's why I prefer a canopy. It hides the lights, no blinding light spill on the walls, plus it is totally enclosed, with nothing impeding the light from getting to the coral. Also, there's virtually no way fish can escape. And air is still free flowing enough that I can run a fan when necessary to cool things off.
6a9f4c14-ae56-42aa-84e4-e97c1a6a3f54-jpeg.1687920

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back