One Piece of Fishroom equipment a reefer shouldn't be without?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think there are truly any must haves, it's mostly wanthaves... Mixing stations are certainly nice for bigger systems, really just depends on the type of system and your lifestyle and personality.
I’m in the process of building a fish room and in wall 150g. No mixing station for me, I almost never change water. For me, climate control, sink, storage are all key.

when I think of fish room I think of the things you don’t automatically need/want, like an apex or buckets. I have those with my other tanks and no fish room.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your budget is, I’d look into an Inverter miniSplit Heat Pump, instead of a Dehumidifier. It will remove moisture, in its dehumidifying mode. It can handle dehumidifying in the Winter, also. If you decide on a dehumidifier, I’d go with an April Aire, rather than one from a big box store.

Reeflier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you'd be getting most of the stuff already mentioned, a backup generator makes a lot of sense, especially if you can swing a natural gas powered auto startup and switchover model (assuming you have natural gas or propane). Set a separate panel for all the aquarium gear and have the generator power that panel if the power goes out. All the other gear in the world is not much use if you have no power.

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to keep one running in my house (unfortunately I don't have a fish room) just to keep there from being condensation on the inside of the windows when it gets cold outside. Most people never even consider how much moisture their tanks put into their air.
Which model you use

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what your budget is, I’d look into an Inverter miniSplit Heat Pump, instead of a Dehumidifier. It will remove moisture, in its dehumidifying mode. It can handle dehumidifying in the Winter, also. If you decide on a dehumidifier, I’d go with an April Aire, rather than one from a big box store.
Can u give me info on the inverter thing

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model you use
I don't have any idea what brand or model it is and I'm not home to check. It's nothing special just some cheap dehumidifier that you could buy anywhere for a few hundred dollars. I have it setting in my utility room draining into my sump ( just to clarify, the sump in my floor not a sump connected to an aquarium)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright reefers, what is the piece of equipment that any fish room can't be without in 2021? I am creating a garage build-out list and would love input from the community. I will be having two frag tables, a Show tank, with a fish/invert system.
A wallet - with a credit card inside.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One problem is that there isn't 'one thing'. And everyone's one thing means you're going to be buying 'everything'. SO my real answer is access to a mentor - who can help you who will be consistent with their advice, know your system, your plans, your goals, etc. If you can't find a 'live' mentor like at a local reef club - or a trusted LFS, try someone here. One problem with R2R (No offense) - is that especially for new people - asking a question gets 1000 answers - which can make it difficult

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up power supply
Zx- Pointing up.gif
MUST MUST MUST! A few hours with no power could cost thousands in dead animals. I have a battery backup good for 5 hours and a battery powered airstone to run after that. And enough extension cords to reach my neighbor's house with its natural gas generator after that, lol.

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also totally love Hanna checkers. Idk how I managed to make it this long without them. I discovered them earlier this year and man, they make what was a chore an absolute pleasure. No more ambiguous color charts for this guy.

OP
OP
Sean Landholt

Sean Landholt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A drain. That’s not a piece of equipment but a drain for rodi waste water and/or salt water is really necessary.
Yes, I totally agree. My garage currently doesn't have a drain or even a water line in it. I am building that out currently. I am lucky that it has a clear coat finish and a 6-inch cement curb/liner around the walls.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back