One thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

Have you ever made a decision that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 254 82.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve totally bought into the Apex system but have been hesitant to buy the WAV pumps as there seem to be a lot of complaints about how difficult they are to clean and that even the low setting is still 1800 gph. How long have you had the WAV pump? Do you have any complaints? I have 150g Aqueon tank 72”x29.5”x18” so it’s deep and long. I don’t think the two return nozzles are giving me the circulation I really need. Especially behind the rocks and between the overflows.
First things first. Return lines will never give you enough flow unless you have a HUGE return pump and a tiny, little tank. Even then it probably won’t flow the way it is needed to. You will need to get power heads, assuming you have corals. Maybe not if they are small frags but when they grow you will need water movement.

As for the WAV pumps, I have had them for only a short while (a matters of days/weeks…I can’t exactly remember how long they have been on. Less than a month for sure.) That being said: I have noticed a big improvement in the visual appearance of my corals. This is switching from 4 MP40 to 2 WAV pumps. I have also noticed that the back corners where detritus and uneaten food would gather before (I would have to manually remove it) is no longer an is an issue.

All that being said, I want to give it some time to see more long term results before I recommend the WAVs.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped using ab+, pns pro bio and pns yellow snow. Went to just acropower every other day and reef roids 2x a week and the turn around in my tank has been great some corals are literally coming back from the dead while everything else has gotten way more color and growth.

pdjemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto in my sump (with a light on overnight) and 2 peppermint shrimps in my tank. Goodbye algae and aipstasia

TianS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using AquaChar in the 125..seems to have made a noticeable difference! Also, when I upgraded from a 35 to a 125, with a 55 gallon sump...WOW! No more canister filter! Made my life alot easier and alot more enjoyable for sure!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a problem with my tank and all parameters were in range I even did a icp test… so someone on here told me to try Aqua forest Life Source. So I dosed for two weeks and my tank did a complete 360 woke up the next morning all my corals were twice as fluffy and now I’m seeing sps encrust white tips and growth even lps is growin hardcore
I just found this while searching for more info on this stuff. I happened to find some online and ordered it -- just got it this morning and dosed the tank. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I went over to check on things a minute ago and the water smells wonderful -- this sweet, earthy, ocean smell. Not that the water ever smelled bad, but this is a new very good smell.

Do you continue to use the product, and if so how often do you dose it? I was thinking of doing monthly instead of weekly...

pdjemail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto in my sump (with a light on overnight) and 2 peppermint shrimps in my tank. Goodbye algae and aipstasia
Now all my GSP has gone also, not sure if it is a the shrimp or the chaeto to blame. Also not sure if this is good or bad!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down. An RO system, with added DI filter. Remarkable improvement in my 45 gallon 8 year old tank. My leathers came to life, and believe it or not my one fish ( a clown ) has grown at a faster rate. Could be my imagination but I think not

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a piece of standard RO tubing rigged to deliver water to a vodka dosing chamber (Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer). After months of periodic small (and not so small) leaks I realized my error and replaced it with much more flexible tubing.

All of that stress, salinity and pH fluctuation, and wet floors over about 25 cents worth of tubing. smh

Last edited:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I already posted. Hands down an RO system with a DI filter. Huge difference in coral health, and even my 1 fish a clown seems to be growing faster. Maybe my imagination. After I posted I decided to change my RO filters. Guess what color this was originally
RO filter 1.jpg
RO filter 2.jpg
if you said white you are correct. This after 6 months on town water, and used for my Aquarium only with weekly water changes. About 60 gallons a week.

JediFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the quickest, most obvious changes was shortly after adding a half-dozen money cowries to my developing 90gal mixed-reef tank. I had had only one in there prior, but added more because they proved extremely hardy through temporary algae blooms that killed off other snails and two different algae-eating blennies.

In two-three days, they totally cleaned up the back glass of my tank.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed an Apex, DOS, and Trident to monitor and automatically dose the tanks.
Yup. This. I immediately know when something is off and I can proactively address it. As opposed to before I wouldn't know there was a problem until it was too late and I lost corals. The trident especially is a game changer and I've had much more success with SPS because of it.

nicksreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular but fewer water changes.
Regular but wider spaced water tests.
Regular but further spaced glass cleans.
Regular but far fewer canister media cleans.

In short I chilled the hell out and enjoy far more stable tanks for it. Briefly the tanks looked a bit uncared for but after a few months of regular but more sporadic maintenance this cleared up and i have happy fish, happy starter corals and a tank that is more stable and robust... looking forward to building up the reef of my dreams now.

Now enjoying some retrospective aquascaping and watching the personalities of the fish start to come out as they mature.

Happy Days :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back