One thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

Have you ever made a decision that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 254 82.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

jhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes for me!!! There are so many things I can tell you guys that have really helped my tank, the first and biggest thing I did for my reef tank that drastically improved everything was switching from a China black box light to a kessil Ap9x!!! It’s like night and day difference, I couldn’t imagine my reef tank without a good light now.
What lighting schedule are you using? I just got mine and am currently using the default TB one, but it’s really, really blue to me.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a better reef tank! We want it to look better, be healthier and grow faster. As reef keepers we sometimes make mistakes that deter us from that goal but other times we make a good move that improves our reef tank. Some of the things we do has also worked for others, while other things might not work as well. What was it for you? Let's talk about it today!

What was one thing you did that NOTICEABLY IMPROVED your reef tank?

TELL US ABOUT IT!

Image via our Reef Of The Month @Bacon505
Progression.jpeg
Started thoroughly cleaning my substrate regularly.

squirrelbaffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Removed my skimmer.
2. Bought two cheap plastic strainers from Walmart. Use the heavy loft poly for making pillows and quilts as a detritus filter.
3. dose diy NoPox (vodka and vinegar) 4 times a day
4. Added automatic feeder.
5. Bare bottom… removed all sand.

My reef is on Auto Pilot. Wasted so many years with water changes, water testing, etc. keep
It simple stupid.

03EDC119-8C49-4A7B-ABDF-07BEB18539E0.jpeg 146FEE26-D578-47E0-BAAA-C30BB787E759.jpeg 3EEC0C67-40CA-49EE-BD6C-68CC5377420C.jpeg C000F00C-F801-4317-ABD8-259708028524.jpeg

Last edited:

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waited for the 18 month long dry rock/ bare bottom cycle to pass. Had a deep sand bed with established live rock 15 years ago, was amazing from 2nd month. Got back into it 2 years ago, first 6-12 months were awful - all of the horror stories we always hear now. Past 6 months have been great - same routine, same equipment, same salt. Of course BRS changed course on the bare bottom / dry rock discussion right as my issues were resolving lol

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one I thought of is cleaning your return. Anytime I see algae accumulating I clean my return pump. Odds are your pump has slowed down and you're not turning the water over enough.

I have literally had outbreaks, did this and they went away without a single reaction beyond cleaning the pump and return line itself. I do it every 2 months as part of routine. I swear by this assuming you don't have other issues you're dealing with.. it certainly can't hurt anything.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recently... was adding back a refugium. Definitely went too long without and paid the price.

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over a year now I have cut out adding aminos and other dosing additives besides 3-part and only add PNS ProBio purple non-sulphur bacteria product. My tank has had very noticeable changes for the better! I run barebottom and the amount of detritus on the bottom has decreased significantly, as well as in the back chambers of my AIO IM 40g the deep piles of collected detritus that I would normally need to siphon out every few months have literally disappeared, its gone, none back there, having been broken down by the bacteria. My corals are much happier as well and look full and well fed.

Nachopapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double checked my Apex salinity probe with a refracto and found it was out of whack. Got my salinity down to earth and things greatly improved

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped testing as much and chasing numbers, along with more water changes instead of relying on dosing. Corals never looked better

ColdWafflez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing from decent dual Marine 3.0 lights to the top of the line XR15's made one of the biggest and fastest changes that I've seen in my tank so far. Results have been absolutely amazing in coral growth and I'm currently only at 20% power

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an inkfish temp controller. It keeps the tank at a constant temp and sets an alarm if it falls outside of the set values. No more relying on cruddy heater thermostats. Peace of mind and stability :)

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding carbon was always so surprising. But I think I noticed a bigger difference after doubling the size of my aquarium system by adding a sump. Mainly I just try to apply what Than from Tidal Gardens practices hehe.

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping things simple has helped me. Don’t overstock rock and coral, feed less often, let the tank be. Only been in the hobby a little over a year but the first 6-8 months I was doing way to much and too often. A tank needs to be allowed to run itself and it doesn’t help to chase things or always be adding or pulling stuff in and out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back