One thing you would like to upgrade or change and why...

Is there something you would like to upgrade or change about your reef?

• YES (answer the questions in the thread)

Votes: 286 86.4%
  • No it's fine like it is

Votes: 45 13.6%

• Total voters

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still in the garage, won't be set up for another 2 months, I've been collecting equipment for a year now.
If I could I would like to upgrade my tank size lol.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a remote sump. I have an unfinished basement and the hardest part would be getting the right return pump. I've thought about it for years and then I could upgrade the sump, add a refugium and make water changes quick and easy.
I used to have this in my old house. It was AWESOME having the sump in the basement, up on a stand where it was easy to access. I had about 10 feet of head and used a Sicce 12.0 pump. See my build thread for pictures and details if you are interested.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan on upgrading from a 150 xhigh to a 180 or maybe a 210 long version with regular demensions 72x24x24. This way I have more length than height and I can let me tangs swim the length of the tank

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to upgrade my Chinese black boxes to Kessil AP700’s but right now with a house full of kids to raise I’ll have to wait.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next project will be to incorporate an AWC system. Not just to make my life easier, but also to reduce stress on the inhabitants.

Abeal17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just like to upgrade fro my IM25 to a Red Sea Reefer 250. I'm happy with all my equipment but I'd just love to be able to have a sump and larger tank for corals.

DzidtheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some ecotech gen 4 lights, but i cant justify dropping 3grand just for lights so ill stick to my AIs

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some ecotech gen 4 lights, but i cant justify dropping 3grand just for lights so ill stick to my AIs

And people complain about having to buy $25 t5 bulbs each year for a light source that pretty much grows corals right out of the box without having to borrow a par meter or adjust intensity and color settings on a tablet only to have everything in the tank look completely monochromatic.

I picked up a frag from a gentleman who had the “best LED lights” and I honestly couldn’t tell the difference in color between the corals on his frag rack. I feel lucky the one I pointed at was the one I came to pick up. Lol.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big thing I would like to change is my p04 levels. Thinking about upgrading/adding on a diy algea turf scrubber and getting a dos and doing a 5-8 gallon water change per day for some more stability

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big thing I would like to change is my p04 levels. Thinking about upgrading/adding on a diy algea turf scrubber and getting a dos and doing a 5-8 gallon water change per day for some more stability

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aio 56 gallon column mixed reef is great exactly as it is for now. My 30 gallon seahorse tank sits next to it and is hooked up to a basement sump for easy water changes. Someday when my ponies live out their natural lives I will hook up the 56 gallon reef to the sump.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had the money for better lights, what I have works, but isn't optimal, but its a price thing.. it'll be my last big purchase for awhile that has a point. Someday I'd like a calcium reactor, simply becuase I think its a awesome piece of elite gear, something to really tweak and work with, but I'm barely at the point of needed 2 part dosing, so there's no practical reason to have one... yet...And of course... a Trident and a DOS...

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had the money for better lights, what I have works, but isn't optimal, but its a price thing.. it'll be my last big purchase for awhile that has a point. Someday I'd like a calcium reactor, simply becuase I think its a awesome piece of elite gear, something to really tweak and work with, but I'm barely at the point of needed 2 part dosing, so there's no practical reason to have one... yet...And of course... a Trident and a DOS...

What do you have for lights? Also, I’ve seen some extremely nice tanks that only dose 2-part because of how precise it is. Calcium reactors can require a lot of tinkering, not to mention a lot more initial cost to get the same results as 2-part. They do have their advantages in the long run as far as cost goes and especially on very large systems, but on a smaller tank (less than 100 gallons) I would rather go with a $60 jebao doser and $50 worth of BRS packets. I eventually went with the calcium reactor simply for the long term cost savings.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I said in the beginning of the year my main goal was to go even larger on a tank. I have finalized a decision and went more locally on a beautiful tank and making arrangements for a shipper mover for a 660 gallon acrylic with custom stand and canopy.

I hope this does not bring bad luck, but here is a sneak peek shot of the current unit. Its gorgeous !!! 98" X 36" X 31"

600g2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would love to go bigger, but keep the costs the same they are now. Is there a way to do that? LOL I know, but one can dream.

Since this is not possible, I would like a system that measures calcium, alk, magnesium, nitrates, low range phosphates, etc. In real time without reagents. Is that available? LOL Oh come on!!!

Apex has the Trident unit lined up for this

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back