One type of zoa not opening ?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 70 gallon tank I have 5 different zoas. A few months ago I bought some blondie zoas from wwc. They were acclimated and looked great for two days. Then closed up for 3 weeks so i moved them from the sand bed to the frag rack for 3 weeks and some days one polyp would show a hi t or orange but not open all all. So now I moved it to the other side of the tank it's been two weeks with no success on opening. So the three spots were all different levels of light and flow but none seemed to make the zoa happy. All my other zoas are doing amazing and these just dobt want to open. I cant imagine it would be water parameters since the other zoas are not effected... any ideas what could affect this.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in "protection mode" that could be from

* moving it so much
* it needs to be in lower flow
* your water quality is off normal #s

Not the exact answer you're hoping for bc there could be literally 20 different factors affecting it.

Best to "reboot" by putting it in low flow, low light, check water parameters and go from there

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey after being in this hobby I know theres no magic answers lol. I have moved it 3 times but I felt 3 weeks was adequate time to acclimate and test a new spot with out going to fast. I could try and reboot and go back to the sand. Would it be wise to dip the coral ? I'm trying to do less is more because doing g to many things always causes more problems I have learned

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one particular plug of zoas that doesn't seem to like light at all. They're happiest in a shaded part of the substrate just under an overhang, or in the back corner of my frag rack, right in the corner of the tank that barely gets any light at all.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one particular plug of zoas that doesn't seem to like light at all. They're happiest in a shaded part of the substrate just under an overhang, or in the back corner of my frag rack, right in the corner of the tank that barely gets any light at all.
I could also give this a try. I'm so stumped and lighting makes the most sense maybe if everything else is happy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back