One year old anthias not eating

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lone lyretail anthias (think it’s a female transitioning to male) that I’ve quarantined and had for close to a year now. She/he suddenly isn’t eating and is perching on the rocks a lot. Still swims around occasionally but seems to be breathing somewhat fast. Every single wet thing in my tank has been quarantined - all fish, inverts, corals. All other fish are doing great. It’s not too skinny at this point, it’s maybe been 2 days of not eating/lower activity level. Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look at water quality or possible internal issue
Ammonia
Nitrate
Salinity
Temperature

unusual feces or fecal color
Rapid breathing
Skin issues
Signs of aggression

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lone lyretail anthias (think it’s a female transitioning to male) that I’ve quarantined and had for close to a year now. She/he suddenly isn’t eating and is perching on the rocks a lot. Still swims around occasionally but seems to be breathing somewhat fast. Every single wet thing in my tank has been quarantined - all fish, inverts, corals. All other fish are doing great. It’s not too skinny at this point, it’s maybe been 2 days of not eating/lower activity level. Any ideas?
Can you post a short video?
With the other fish still being ok, you need to look at things that are specific to a single fish. Mycobacterium is one example, but the symptoms don’t match that very well.
Jay

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video?
With the other fish still being ok, you need to look at things that are specific to a single fish. Mycobacterium is one example, but the symptoms don’t match that very well.
Jay
Sure! Hopefully this works. She has been sitting here most of the time for the past 2 days. Breathing a little heavily, nothing external that I can see.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    37.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! Hopefully this works. She has been sitting here most of the time for the past 2 days. Breathing a little heavily, nothing external that I can see.

I see deep breathing, but not super fast (helps to rule out velvet). Color is good, no signs of damage.

The other fish cruising by all seem normal.

So - I'm back where I started, something unique to this fish and not broadly contagious. So in the end, I've got nothing (sigh). Myco is unlikely because the fish isn't old, and it isn't showing other symptoms.

Sorry I don't have an action plan for you!

Jay

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see deep breathing, but not super fast (helps to rule out velvet). Color is good, no signs of damage.

The other fish cruising by all seem normal.

So - I'm back where I started, something unique to this fish and not broadly contagious. So in the end, I've got nothing (sigh). Myco is unlikely because the fish isn't old, and it isn't showing other symptoms.

Sorry I don't have an action plan for you!

Jay
Thank you! Good to hear you don’t believe it’s something contagious. All other fish are acting completely normal. She even swims normal occasionally, that’s what’s so weird. Fingers crossed she will begin eating again and recover.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back