Online viewing: Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

Do you have a web camera for your aquarium?

• Yes, I have a webcam for my reef

Votes: 196 34.3%
  • No, but I have plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 205 35.8%
  • No, I have no plans to add a webcam for my reef

Votes: 157 27.4%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.4%

• Total voters

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like one that I could mount to my tank when I’m away, so my house sitter doesn’t feel like I’m spying on him. Anyone know what this one is:

4B450C18-CBB2-499B-8C9F-5FAD41CCFE1A.jpeg

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap, $20 web cam to watch my anemone incubator basket. It works OK, but I really wish I could find one with a shorter focal distance. The anemones I am checking on are small and I lose a lot of details at 3+ feet.
I bought a Logitech c270 ($20-30) for my 3D printer, and printed this focusing do-dad:

It's not amazingly sharp, but for a $20 webcam it isn't half bad.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other here. I did have but now that I'm retired I just sit and watch anytime I like. I didn't really find myself using it much when I was working. Probable because I was an auto tech working flat rate so there was no money being made if I was playing around on my phone or laptop.

jc1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brand I have always used and found to work really well is tapo by tp link. The cameras are of decent quality and you can also use smart plugs and lights on the app

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brand I have always used and found to work really well is tapo by tp link. The cameras are of decent quality and you can also use smart plugs and lights on the app
I use these myself.very reliable, good clear app & about £20 cheaper than the reef factory alternative

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What camera do you use? Filters?
No filters. I'm not a blue light guy with displays, hate the windex look.

TETHYS Wireless Security Camera 1080P Indoor [Work with Alexa] Pan/Tilt WiFi Smart IP Camera Dome Surveillance System w/Night Vision,Motion Detection,2-Way Audio,Cloud for Home,Business, Baby Monitor https://a.co/d/9NoTnAH

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a TON of time researching how I could do that with a GoPro Hero 8, which is NOT the best choice, but I’m pretty happy with the end result!

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a TON of time researching how I could do that with a GoPro Hero 8, which is NOT the best choice, but I’m pretty happy with the end result!

Very nice. What is your upload/hosting solution?

I am currently only viewing my cameras through the manufactures app. I wouldn't mind setting up a public stream but I'm on Starlink and stuck behind a CGnat. All the options I dug into were complicated and expensive.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember the brand of camera I had, but was kind of a pain to setup esp. when IP changed.

We have Amazon Blinks all around the house now, so easy to setup and what I'd use now...

captpetefl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. What is your upload/hosting solution?

I am currently only viewing my cameras through the manufactures app. I wouldn't mind setting up a public stream but I'm on Starlink and stuck behind a CGnat. All the options I dug into were complicated and expensive.
Most streaming cams come with an app to feed to YouTube or other site. I use an extra iPhone on a charger near the setup to stream 24/7 (that’s all I use that phone for). Muted streaming is tricky, but buy a cheap external mic and cut the wire. As long as a plug is in the GoPro it will be muted. That’s the only way I could find, too. Harder than you think to mute a stream on a GoPro!

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be gone for work for long periods. I "invested" in a broadcast quality web cam. Mine is an Axis V5915 with full PTZ, auto white balance, and a 20x optical zoom. I used it to enjoy my tank while I was away from home.

With it's built in web-server I put it on the web to share my tank with anyone interested. You can check it out at o2manyfish.com --- Tank lights aren't on till 4pm PST.

It's neat to check the camera logs and see people logging in from around the world. We avg about 100 people a day and that number doubles on the weekends. If I do a good youtube update on the tank then the daily views can hit 1000.

I then took the web-cams feed and integrated it into our security camera system. In our theater, living room, kitchen, master bedroom we have 32" monitors showing the security cameras, and one of those feeds is the reef tank.

Now that I am retired and don't travel for work anymore I get to enjoy my tank from more rooms in the house than just the room the tank is viewable.

For when things go wrong, the PTZ has been invaluable. We were on an Alaskan cruise when there was an 8hr power outage. Fish loss was over 100 fish. Using the camera we were able to guide the house sitter to a majority of the bodies to remove them from the tank.

In addition to the Axis camera on the main 750g tank, I have 5 standard 4mp security cameras on the outdoor frag tanks and the outdoor filter wall so I can keep track of everything, whether at home or away.

The Axis is probably outside of most people's budgets for a webcam, but it's an amazing camera and for me has been well worth the investment.

Dave B
Would love to talk with you about your camera.

Doberlander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two ring cameras; one for the display and one for the sump. They really give me piece of mind when out of town
A42B119C-D6D9-4638-9AAF-CCA140A9ED1E.png
1557C7CF-9C50-47BF-8039-AD95AF2D9FDA.png
Great pics!! Do you have a filter on your ring camera? I have an indoor ring pointed at my tank and the quality is terrible…

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back