Only local place to buy fish, no longer has fish :(

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just after Christmas I went into the only store local to me that sells saltwater fish. It is a Petco so the quality was not that great and selection was limited, but they did occasionally get things in stock that were suitable for my tank.

On that visit they had a firefish and an absolutely tiny neon goby; I thought I’d give it a week or 2 for the goby to settle in and today I went off to see if they were still there for me to buy. When I entered the store I discovered that all of their tanks (saltwater and freshwater) had gone. I have no idea where all of the livestock went as it was full 2 weeks ago. I should have asked if this was a permanent change but I assume it is, as it would cost a huge amount to replace all of those tanks, and if they were just out for a clean then surely they would do them one by one.

I’m torn as to whether this is a good thing. The tanks weren’t the healthiest, and all of the corals were pretty much dead, but that was my only local source of fish.

Whilst this is a post about my local Petco, it is also a general post about limited local supplies. If you have a LFS that you don’t use often but do rely upon for certain things, then you don’t really realize what a pain it can be when it has gone.

This afternoon’s job is now going to be trying to find what I want online, which is not ideal.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just after Christmas I went into the only store local to me that sells saltwater fish. It is a Petco so the quality was not that great and selection was limited, but they did occasionally get things in stock that were suitable for my tank.

On that visit they had a firefish and an absolutely tiny neon goby; I thought I’d give it a week or 2 for the goby to settle in and today I went off to see if they were still there for me to buy. When I entered the store I discovered that all of their tanks (saltwater and freshwater) had gone. I have no idea where all of the livestock went as it was full 2 weeks ago. I should have asked if this was a permanent change but I assume it is, as it would cost a huge amount to replace all of those tanks, and if they were just out for a clean then surely they would do them one by one.

I’m torn as to whether this is a good thing. The tanks weren’t the healthiest, and all of the corals were pretty much dead, but that was my only local source of fish.

Whilst this is a post about my local Petco, it is also a general post about limited local supplies. If you have a LFS that you don’t use often but do rely upon for certain things, then you don’t really realize what a pain it can be when it has gone.

This afternoon’s job is now going to be trying to find what I want online, which is not ideal.
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com

Nothing against Dr Reef, but I'm not sure how you know when you will receive anything. The website says that they are shipping orders placed in Nov/Dec (some October).

I'm going to be looking for somewhere that can ship me something this week (preferably Monday).

Traviitrav

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not long ago my local Petco removed all of their FW and SW tanks too. In my store’s case it was just temporary because a few weeks later all new tanks and filtration were installed. Maybe that‘s what your Petco is doing too.

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not long ago my local Petco removed all of their FW and SW tanks too. In my store’s case it was just temporary because a few weeks later all new tanks and filtration were installed. Maybe that‘s what your Petco is doing too.

My local Petco just took down all their SW tanks to be replaced by a new system, perhaps it's happening to a lot of the stores.

This is sounding more promising. Thanks.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with nyaquatics with fish. Tbh prob for the best.
My.local petco 1 of 3 last time they were doing maintence and was they had the lower panel off and I saw the sump.
It's nothing more than a plastic bin and a pump and the skimmer looked diy or homemade. Lol.
Id love for them to upgrade the filtration at least. Lol.
D

OP
OP
F

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on the comments in this thread, I popped into my local Petco today to confirm that they had discontinued selling fish.

To my amazement, as others have mentioned here, they have installed a completely new wall of tanks; I was gobsmacked. There must be 30 tanks there and they have all been replaced. I have no idea how that makes financial sense (I live in a small city) but I am happy that I should be able to get fish locally again. I say 'should' because, despite having all the tanks up and running, there are no fish in them yet (which is a good thing). They told me that they should be getting fish in, in a couple of weeks. The only question now is whether they will have saltwater fish, but some of the tank backgrounds have coral pictures so I am hopeful.

Fingers crossed, if they do get some saltwater fish in, I might be able to get some from their new clean tanks, almost straight from the wholesaler, before they get Petco'd!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear! One my local petcos saltwater sections has been 1/2 empty for about a month. I’m curious if they’re working on doing the same now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back