Only phyto and pods

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a reef aquarium in which the only “foods” added are phyto and pods, and pods would be added only until they’re established? If so, could you describe it (volume, organisms, how long, issues faced, etc)?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of but I will want to follow this because I plan to do something like this at some point. A tank with light stocking, lots of rocks, and constant drip of rotifers and phyto culture. My current tank I feed very lightly and I am willing to bet based on how actively my fish hunt that they are getting the majority of their nutrition from live pods.

OP
OP
N

NatsRams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Only benefit from feeding live 24/7 imo would be no or little phosphates and nitrates...
D
Not trying anything at the moment. Been culturing phyto and will move into the same with pods soon. Both are base of food chain. Been wondering if anyone had successfully tried to create a micro/mesocosm supported by little more than phyto.

My guess is such a system would be comprised largely by producers, herbivores, primary consumers, and detritivores. Right now I have a 75g (maybe 80g total water volume) with a sand sifting goby, blue damsel, dragonette, kole tang, a variety of snails and hermits, a couple sps and zoas, and an urchin. Maybe I would be able to ween the system off everything but the phyto, but I’d have to do it gradually and watch things closely.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying anything at the moment. Been culturing phyto and will move into the same with pods soon. Both are base of food chain. Been wondering if anyone had successfully tried to create a micro/mesocosm supported by little more than phyto.

My guess is such a system would be comprised largely by producers, herbivores, primary consumers, and detritivores. Right now I have a 75g (maybe 80g total water volume) with a sand sifting goby, blue damsel, dragonette, kole tang, a variety of snails and hermits, a couple sps and zoas, and an urchin. Maybe I would be able to ween the system off everything but the phyto, but I’d have to do it gradually and watch things closely.
I think all but the tang would be fine if you fed only a good supply of phyto and/or pods. The tang is a big eater and very active so I suspect its needs won't be met just by grazing. In a bigger tank, sure. Also depends on how much rock you have I suppose.

The dragonette and goby mostly just eat microorganisms as is already, and if your damsel is like my clown I think it'd be fine too. My clown literally sits in front of the return catching whatever comes out of the fuge. There have been times when she went on hunger strike for a week or two and refused to eat anything but pods, but didn't seem to get any weaker. Once I went out of town for a week and she didn't lose any weight at all. I feed a tiny pinch of flake daily and a few pieces of mysis a couple times a week when I feed my corals and shrimp.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back