Onward and Upward ... the 65 gallon that's too big.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the three stage DI to nuke the chloromines?
Yeah, three stage resins - Cation, anion & dual bed resins. I was "cooking" through dual bed resins (2 canisters every other month) ever since switching over to the separate resins I go through 1 Anion every 3 months. The Cation is just shy of a year old and dual bed is over a year old and barely showing color change and TDS is 0.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp ... Doser has ich ... again. ROFL. This silly fish will get ich at the drop of the hat.

Shouldn't be a problem unless something else crazy happens. :)

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser...lol I had a powder brown tang that would get ich like a teenager gets acne... He met his demise when he tried to steal food from a carpet anemone.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dumped a bunch of amphipods in from my 20. I think the wife said she got three nets full of them. For reference that would be about a gumball size times three. Put them in at night so the marauding fish wouldn't eat them. My limpet transfers didn't do very well. :( Will need to get more over. The black snail I moved over is doing well and having a heyday on the algae.

The lights have definitely kicked off the algae. Unfortunately because of the freeze the LFS has no CUC. :( I think I want to put a conch in this tank. They are such fun creatures. Should be more than enough to keep him busy. I want to be careful and not overdo it. I don't need dead crew members.

Pics for posterity.
20210224_175916500_iOS.jpg

20210224_175819779_iOS.jpg

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I just realized my mistake. Too much dosing in my head. My Pakastani's name is Dozer. He just wanted me to make that clear to everyone that is watching. :p

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, got back to the LFS. He went overboard and I was able to get my small clean up crew and most importantly I was able to get a conch. I hope he does well I really love these creatures and I would be really happy to have one like I have in my 20.

So new tank and coral failure is real. My wife thought that LPS would work in the tank and suggested that we get a small LPS frag to test. I was skeptical but what the hay I thought we would try. LUL that didn't work at all. The coral looked good when I put it in the next day looked like crap ... I have pics. Then the wife was like yah that didn't work. We put it in my 20 and now it is puffing back up and will probably eat tonight. Ughhhh, now I have another LPS to keep up with.

I got an ICP test for my 20. It showed elevated vanadium and nickel. This has been a weird ongoing problem for me for a while. It doesn't seem to cause trouble with the tank but I don't think it is helpful. I attributed it to the hydrogen sulfide exposure when I put a pump into the front end of my digester. Whelp I don't think that is the case now. I did some quick research and found this:

I really think it is the black sand that I am using. I had kept some for my 20 because I thought it was leaching iron and my thought was good ... I want that. I don't think that anymore. Fortunately for me I pulled the skimmer that I dumped the sand in so it is removed from the 20, Unfortunately for me I used it in my plenum on this tank. Argghhhh thankfully it is in the sump so the disruption will be minimal. I am going have to yank the plenum and rebuild it using a the white silica sand. I am debating whether I want the dead space, I know Jaubert said it wasn't relevant but old habits die hard. Hilariously I was right as it the origins of the idea. LOL old undergravel. Anyway here are some pics and a full tank shot for posterity.

Clean up crew with a special pic of conch. :p
IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Kewl sponge that is doing well. I am very happy to see all of the sponge life.

IMG_0665.JPG

FTS with Dozer actually in the picture. He is in his favorite hidey hole. Gilly of course being her photo bomber self.
IMG_0667.JPG

Before and after on the new LPS that got moved.

Before:
LPS_WhenIntroducedTo60g.JPG

After:
LPS_NextDay.JPG

Not a happy camper. :(

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new tank absolutely nuked the LPS it didn't even recover in my 20. Yikes. The porites and stylo are now fully gone and being overtaken by algae. The coral that Gilly pulled it's mouth out is hanging in there and it definitely doesn't like the higher light. There is a new coral that I thought was dead but because the algae growth is so thick it is pretty clear now that it is not dead because there is no algae growth on it. It is extremely pale. Let's see if it will color up or even if it will survive.

Got a new ATO container. It is a 10 gallon container. I am starting to see some alk depletion and this will get worse when I pull the plenum. Hopefully this weekend I can rebuild it. I will be getting a new doser for my GHL and I will get the kalk stirrer going and start dosing kalk. I will put up pics of those events when I get them up.

Fish are fat and healthy. Dozer is finally starting to calm down. His color is coming back and he is pale less often and picking at rocks more. No more visible scale lifting and the head shaking has abated.

New ATO
JPEG image.jpeg

Tank clowns.
JPEG image 3.jpeg

Dead porites:
JPEG image 8.jpeg

Dead stylo:
JPEG image 8.jpeg

Coral that I thought was dead:
JPEG image 9.jpeg

LPS from live rock that Gilly out the mouth out of:
JPEG image 11.jpeg

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the plenum. Yukkk that was a job. Got all of the black sand out and replaced with white silca sand. Hopefully I should get some silicates for my sponges.

I hate that I get so much blue from 20. It makes pictures hard. :(

Re-used the dead space. It is just coarse filter with window screening.
JPEG image 4.jpeg

White silca sand on top of the dead space.
JPEG image 3.jpeg

Finished. The black is the dead space. I am not sure the sand will fall down and cover this. Maybe in time.
JPEG image.jpeg

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the plenum. Yukkk that was a job. Got all of the black sand out and replaced with white silca sand. Hopefully I should get some silicates for my sponges.

I hate that I get so much blue from 20. It makes pictures hard. :(

Re-used the dead space. It is just coarse filter with window screening.
JPEG image 4.jpeg

White silca sand on top of the dead space.
JPEG image 3.jpeg

Finished. The black is the dead space. I am not sure the sand will fall down and cover this. Maybe in time.
JPEG image.jpeg
Glad you posted that picture. I’ve been having a hard time visualizing what a plenum looks like. Is that the first chamber in your sump? And do you pump water into the bottom layer?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the first chamber of the sump.

It is easy if you imagine how this whole thing came about and to think Jaubert actually patented it. Yuusssh, that was stupid.

It is simple imagine an under gravel filter minus the lift tubes covered with 5 to 6 inches of sand. I take it a little further and add an inert substrate in the lower part of it. I was using the black sand because I thought that it was inert ... ooops. Now I am using silica sand. I do this because I don't want the clumping that comes from using a calcium carbonate based sand. This is all speculation on my part and as is most of this hobby the theory may or may not be true but what happens with all of this I have a lot of experience with.

The lower layer or the plenum is dead. There is no water movement. The next step that would incorporate this type of system would be a reverse flow undergravel filter. This is what Paul B. and others use. Where a small amount of water is pushed down the lift tubes into the space underneath.

Hope this explains it. :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really interested in getting butterfly(s) for my reef with most interest in your two types. Any advice?

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really interested in getting butterfly(s) for my reef with most interest in your two types. Any advice?
Lots of gas exchange with flow. I used white worms to get them started eating. It took about 2 and 4 days to get them eating. Once they are eating be judicious for the first few days spread the feedings out, and feed a little. Once they are tolerating the food and they start to enter the voracious phase after a few days from them starting to eat. Feed them a lot and constantly to get their reserves back.

My Pakastani was very sick when he came in, though there were few outwardly visible signs. It took me quite some time to get him strengthened up.

Just know that butterflys are moderately hard to get acclimated. A more mature tank can help with this so if you can let them be the last additions that you make.

Good luck. I hope you have success. :)

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of gas exchange with flow. I used white worms to get them started eating. It took about 2 and 4 days to get them eating. Once they are eating be judicious for the first few days spread the feedings out, and feed a little. Once they are tolerating the food and they start to enter the voracious phase after a few days from them starting to eat. Feed them a lot and constantly to get their reserves back.

My Pakastani was very sick when he came in, though there were few outwardly visible signs. It took me quite some time to get him strengthened up.

Just know that butterflys are moderately hard to get acclimated. A more mature tank can help with this so if you can let them be the last additions that you make.

Good luck. I hope you have success. :)
Yep! Tank is about 9 months and i just started a thread about my other options for my last fish. If I had to get a pair what would you suggest

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Tank is about 9 months and i just started a thread about my other options for my last fish. If I had to get a pair what would you suggest
It all depends on you. :p

Butterflys are not considered reef safe, so be aware of that. There are many species to choose from and pictures don't really do them justice for how beautiful their colorings are. I can't even get really good pictures of mine to show just how pretty they look.

Here are most of the ones that are available to the hobby.

You often have to wait for availability. I haven't really tried pairs so I can't say with that, but do be aware there is often intraspecies agression.

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my new doser on and moved over the dosing to this slave doser from the stand alone doser that I have on my 20. It was very painless. Thank you GHL.

Next step is to get the stirrer going and get it dosing the tank.

JPEG image.jpeg

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved over a bunch more amphipods from my 20, and ordered more pods online at Algae Barn.

Seems like the algae is getting beat up pretty bad. My sump tells the tale.

Who needs a protein skimmer. LUL.
IMG_0696.JPG

Algae is still there but the bare spots are not going away and the cyano is having a hard time re-establishing. It is hard to see from the pictures but I will document over time.

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

OP
OP
HuduVudu

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our nocturnal raid on my 20. Here are some pics of the amphipods. It is truly crazy how many I have.

This is pretty much the entirety of the back of the 20. Plus all that are in the rocks and sand. The LPS like to catch them and eat them.
JPEG image 2.jpeg

Got 'em.
JPEG image 7.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back