Oof! Idea for bigger tank shot down... Fluval Evo 13.5?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may have seen the thread where I said there was a chance of getting a bigger tank, and my dad shot that idea out of the discussion, he said it would be better to wait till your older to get a bigger tank so I appreciate it more, and so I can look forward and work towards it. I dont say this too often, but he is absolutely right! I can wait like 10 years to get a bigger tank, it'll be worth the wait.
Now he said no bigger tank, but he didnt say smaller... ;)
Ive been thinking of doing an experiment: live rock vs. dry rock
Ive heard from BRS that dry rock can be a fresh start for some people, and it usually brings less algae problems because it wasnt in the ocean.
I was thinking of maybe buying the Fluval Evo 13.5g, using live sand but with dry rock. Or wait if I used live sand would that change anything?
For livestock, I was thinking just one pair of clowns, but ive heard some people say that won't work when they become full sized.
Would 2 clowns and a nem work?
Ive also thought of one clown and maybe a blood shrimp or maybe a neon goby or a watchman goby?
Anyways, tell me what you think of the idea and for livestock ideas #reefsquad thank you :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds fine to me in terms of livestock. Dry rock and live sand with bottled bacteria is my prefered method as you control what enters the tank vs with live rock which can bring in al sorts of headaches (particularly with fish store rock as it is usually doesn't have the cool stuff that traditional live rock had).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds fine to me in terms of livestock. Dry rock and live sand with bottled bacteria is my prefered method as you control what enters the tank vs with live rock (particularly with fish store rock as it is usually doesn't have the cool stuff that traditional live rock had).
So the two clowns alone would work?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally disagree with BRS but any excuse to get another tank is a good one.

I'm with you on this one @Tamberav . The new tanks I see struggling the most with nuisance algae (especially dinos) are those started with dry rock. Not that I'm against using dry rock only, I've done before and might do it again.

However, my very first set up was with TBS live rock and I never had the "uglies" and never had dinos despite very low nutrient levels at times. Yes, I had to deal with a few pest hitch hikers.....but not nuisance algae.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you on this one @Tamberav . The new tanks I see struggling the most with nuisance algae (especially dinos) are those started with dry rock. Not that I'm against using dry rock only, I've done before and might do it again.

However, my very first set up was with TBS live rock and I never had the "uglies" and never had dinos despite very low nutrient levels at times. Yes, I had to deal with a few pest hitch hikers.....but not nuisance algae.
Ok, thats very interesting. Ill have to say I'd rather have hitchhikers and a few pests than nuisance algae... What kind of live rock did you use? I know there are different types but im not familiar with them

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thats very interesting. Ill have to say I'd rather have hitchhikers and a few pests than nuisance algae... What kind of live rock did you use? I know there are different types but im not familiar with them

Mine was Tampa Bay Saltwater. They ship it completely submerged....there was zero die off. There really was no cycle with my set up, though I waited a couple of weeks to add my first fish.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was Tampa Bay Saltwater. They ship it completely submerged....there was zero die off. There really was no cycle with my set up, though I waited a couple of weeks to add my first fish.
sounds cool ill look into that kind of rock. Just following up on another thing you said about the 2 clownfish working in the 13.5g, would they work in there alone for the long run? or would I have to switch them out eventually? (i wouldnt want to do that :( )

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds cool ill look into that kind of rock. Just following up on another thing you said about the 2 clownfish working in the 13.5g, would they work in there alone for the long run? or would I have to switch them out eventually? (i wouldnt want to do that :( )
I feel like a 13.5 is too small for adult clowns. I have a 14G with 1 midsized clown. He’s fine now but I’ll rehome him at some point. Aside from being too small, I feel like they look out of place when full grown in a small tank. Aesthetically I’d prefer fish that fit the tank.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a 13.5 is too small for adult clowns. I have a 14G with 1 midsized clown. He’s fine now but I’ll rehome him at some point. Aside from being too small, I feel like they look out of place when full grown in a small tank. Aesthetically I’d prefer fish that fit the tank.
Ok, maybe I'll do one clownfish, or maybe smth else. Any suggestions? I dont really want a clown goby( those are recommended a lot for 13.5) would a watchman goby and shrimp pair work?

nanocrazy4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may have seen the thread where I said there was a chance of getting a bigger tank, and my dad shot that idea out of the discussion, he said it would be better to wait till your older to get a bigger tank so I appreciate it more, and so I can look forward and work towards it. I dont say this too often, but he is absolutely right! I can wait like 10 years to get a bigger tank, it'll be worth the wait.
Now he said no bigger tank, but he didnt say smaller... ;)
Ive been thinking of doing an experiment: live rock vs. dry rock
Ive heard from BRS that dry rock can be a fresh start for some people, and it usually brings less algae problems because it wasnt in the ocean.
I was thinking of maybe buying the Fluval Evo 13.5g, using live sand but with dry rock. Or wait if I used live sand would that change anything?
For livestock, I was thinking just one pair of clowns, but ive heard some people say that won't work when they become full sized.
Would 2 clowns and a nem work?
Ive also thought of one clown and maybe a blood shrimp or maybe a neon goby or a watchman goby?
Anyways, tell me what you think of the idea and for livestock ideas #reefsquad thank you :)
Hey the fluval evo is a great nano tank. If you do a new tank the stock pump should work fine but if you do decide on doing some lps or try sps it will probably need to be upgraded. As far as the two clown part goes id personally do 1 clown and a goby or some other small fish. Two clowns in that size aquarium wouldn't have a good outcome at the end. Dry rock is great love the Marco rock pieces and even better for this size tank id choose two little fishies stacks. Its the same as Marco rock just small pieces that are cut flat to be stackable and create awesome overhangs and caves. Live sand won't really help much though in my opinion from just seeing whats been happening to alot of clients aquariums. The live sand has been creating some crazy diatoms that I can't seem to shake. I decided to use dry petco sand cheaper yet no issues. Since you have another aquarium apparently, id wait to fill the new tank using water from old tank and any mechanical filters being used in that setup to help speed that process with new tank. I'd try to fill tank atleast 50% with that tank water and then fill rest with new water. good luck bud if you can add a couple rubble pieces of rock from other tank that seems to have no pest that would also help.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe I'll do one clownfish, or maybe smth else. Any suggestions? I dont really want a clown goby( those are recommended a lot for 13.5) would a watchman goby and shrimp pair work?
Goby and shrimp would be a good resident for that sized tank.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby and shrimp would be a good resident for that sized tank.
Would that work in the long run? How big do the watchmen gobies get? Ive only ever seen them at like 2" so idk if they get any bigger.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchman only get about 2-2.5 there's other cool gobies like my favorite yasha hashi goby that stay under the 2 inch mark
Yasha hashi gobies are cool, do they have the same symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp as the watchmen gobies? Just in case i decide to get one. I went to the store one time and my mom saw the watchman goby and the pistol shrimp working away digging a burrow and she absolutely loved it lol, i think she'd like to see that relationship again.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes!! I have a 5g with KPA rock and it has zero issues and was growing SPS not longer after set up and I totally neglect that tank.

the way I see it..dry rock isn’t populated with anything which means lots of room for nuisance algae. Coralline and other good guys inhibit pest algae IMO.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that work in the long run? How big do the watchmen gobies get? Ive only ever seen them at like 2" so idk if they get any bigger.

I have a Caribbean sailfin blenny, pictus blenny, and a small bottom dwelling goby in my 5g. They all stay small but the blenny have so much personality! I’d say those 3 fish combined have the bioload of one clown.

I also have a porcelain crab, Pom Pom crab, and two saron shrimp.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back