Ooooh that smell...Can't you smell that smell

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I have to say that you might be the first blind person I've talked to who enjoys the hobby! It is a very visual experience for me (and I suspect for most of us). What draws you to it?
I'm totally blind in one eye and legally blind in the other. I grew up on the ocean in Monterey, CA and now live in the Mountains of TN. Reefing keeps the ocean close to me. I can still see light, movement, and sometimes my fish VERY close up but I think it's mostly the sound of the water, the smell of the ocean and the bond with all my tank inhabitants that keeps me going.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I notice a smell, activated carbon takes it out quick. It’s actually a tell tale sign I should change it.
Bingo, my method also, I run my skimmer 24/7, so if my Seagel is spent, I begin to get the bad smell, not that cool ocean smell. My daughter used to call the smell "fishwater".

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't born blind. I only started losing my vision about 8 years ago. I grew up in Monterey Bay, CA and was absolutely in love with the ocean. I also fell in love with a paratrooper in the 82md airborne so I got into reefing to keep a piece of the ocean with me as we traveled. When I was transitioning to blindness I gave up reefing (fear and self pity make you do stupid things). I got back into it about 6 months ago when my husband told me to go buy an aquarium before I drive him crazy. I argued and said I couldn't do it without my vision, he argued back and won. He was right. I am totally blind in one eye and legally blind in the other so I can still see light, shapes, and even my fish VERY close up. Because my light perception is diffused, my corals are like explosions of color. I can't make them out individually but the color and movement is breathtaking. It sounds crazy but there's much more to reefing than what you can see.....the comforting sound of water, the smell of the ocean, the blue light in the the living room, the bond with my fish, corals, and inverts. You would be surprised how much you can do without vision. I restored an old acrylic tank and built my canopy on my own. I figured if I couldn't do that much, I didn't need a tank. I'm not saying it's always easy, but it's definitely worth doing. Reefing is either in your blood and soul or it's not. You're going to do it for life or give it up within a few years. I'm never going to give it up. Everyone here has been incredibly helpful throughout my build. This community showed me that I can still do it and I am forever grateful that I found R2R.
That is inspirational @LisaMarie! We all overcome obstacles in this hobby, but your story really stands out. It seems that the old adage of "what you get out of something depends on what you put into it" is very true, and you have put a lot into reefing!

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't born blind. I only started losing my vision about 8 years ago. I grew up in Monterey Bay, CA and was absolutely in love with the ocean. I also fell in love with a paratrooper in the 82md airborne so I got into reefing to keep a piece of the ocean with me as we traveled. When I was transitioning to blindness I gave up reefing (fear and self pity make you do stupid things). I got back into it about 6 months ago when my husband told me to go buy an aquarium before I drive him crazy. I argued and said I couldn't do it without my vision, he argued back and won. He was right. I am totally blind in one eye and legally blind in the other so I can still see light, shapes, and even my fish VERY close up. Because my light perception is diffused, my corals are like explosions of color. I can't make them out individually but the color and movement is breathtaking. It sounds crazy but there's much more to reefing than what you can see.....the comforting sound of water, the smell of the ocean, the blue light in the the living room, the bond with my fish, corals, and inverts. You would be surprised how much you can do without vision. I restored an old acrylic tank and built my canopy on my own. I figured if I couldn't do that much, I didn't need a tank. I'm not saying it's always easy, but it's definitely worth doing. Reefing is either in your blood and soul or it's not. You're going to do it for life or give it up within a few years. I'm never going to give it up. Everyone here has been incredibly helpful throughout my build. This community showed me that I can still do it and I am forever grateful that I found R2R.
That is inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

My story is that I used to meet my wife (then girlfriend) for lunch. She worked at the airport, and Sea World had this huge saltwater display near her job. It was filled with wrasses and other fish, and it was just so soothing to look at. I would wait there for her until she left for her lunch break. I always wanted a tank since.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

My story is that I used to meet my wife (then girlfriend) for lunch. She worked at the airport, and Sea World had this huge saltwater display near her job. It was filled with wrasses and other fish, and it was just so soothing to look at. I would wait there for her until she left for her lunch break. I always wanted a tank since.
There are so many cool stories behind what leads people to reefing! That might be the most romantic one I've ever heard :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those complaining about the odor or marine tanks focus cleaning on your skimmer, sump and most importantly the areas right under the top frame / waterline of the tank. Basically any area that gets air contact and water contact.

When I was in my late teens and early 20s I had a clinical sense of smell and could tell a freshwater from salt water tank from merely walking in a room and smelling them. After enduring countless sinus infections in my late 20's my sense of smell is greatly reduced. My GF can smell my tank when I clean stuff, but I can't.

glendale789

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little shout out to the Skynrd fans out there!

On to the subject at hand...My wife has a VERY sensitive sense of smell and my tank has a slight, though persistent, "low tide" smell. I am pretty dedicated to cleaning the surfaces that accumulate detritus, but the smell never completely goes away.

I'm thinking of getting an air purifier/deionizer and installing it next to the tank. I'm interested to know people's experience with them and if you have any recommendations.

TIA!!

Oh...I run carbon

I love the smell of my tank! It smells like the GOOD smells of being at or near the ocean. As I pass by the tank, I quite often close my eyes and deeply, slowly, take in the odoriferous splendor. Seriously! I often wonder: "Do other reef keepers smell their tank? Am I weird?" Caveat: My 40g breeder reef has four fish and three snails and was setup four months ago. does that count? (skimmer, no carbon)

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally blind in one eye and legally blind in the other. I grew up on the ocean in Monterey, CA and now live in the Mountains of TN. Reefing keeps the ocean close to me. I can still see light, movement, and sometimes my fish VERY close up but I think it's mostly the sound of the water, the smell of the ocean and the bond with all my tank inhabitants that keeps me going.

Thank you for sharing your story, I realized once I got to the end of your post that I had a big smile on my face ;Cat. I love that you returned to reefing and have dialed in on aspects of the hobby that are distinct from just the visual rewards. You've inspired me to pay greater attention to ALL the qualities my tank has to offer, not just the visual attributes.

Also, I live in the mountains of TN as well (East TN, foothills of the Smokies). Being born and raised here, I have been fortunate to travel quite a bit but can't imagine ever calling anywhere else home ;Happy.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the smell of my tank! It smells like the GOOD smells of being at or near the ocean. As I pass by the tank, I quite often close my eyes and deeply, slowly, take in the odoriferous splendor. Seriously! I often wonder: "Do other reef keepers smell their tank? Am I weird?" Caveat: My 40g breeder reef has four fish and three snails and was setup four months ago. does that count? (skimmer, no carbon)
My name is Allen and I also sniff my tank.

Back