Oops moment

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your biggest surprise you have in this hobby?

Just found out mine this morning. I have kept fish for the last 30 years, starting from goldfish tank and now have a small FOWLR . Had the FOWLR tank for at least 15 years if not more. Had a breeding pair of clowns for over 10 yrs. I thought I am pass the novice saltwater fish stage.

haha, all that went down the drain this morning. For the longest time I am using the cheap plastic hydrometer to test salinity. The hydrometer have a ‘green zone’ so I assume that’s the target salinity. I always aim to get to the green zone. Fish is doing fine, so why change . The hydrometer is so worn out that I could barely read the marking anymore. Well, I took a closelook and all these years I have been mixing saltwater at 1.21 salinity! That’s there green zone.

maybe this explains why any snails I have in the tank keep dying in a matter of weeks.

well, going to slowly raise the salinity to 1.25.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
Oops! If you’re looking for something easy like the hydrometer I like the hanna salinity checker, you just want to clean it with rodi after. I just dip it in my ATO and wipe it off.

My oops was having low nutrients and then continually increasing my feedings each day until I saw nutrients go up, I made the rookie mistake of not going slow and ended up spiking n and P

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your biggest surprise you have in this hobby?

Just found out mine this morning. I have kept fish for the last 30 years, starting from goldfish tank and now have a small FOWLR . Had the FOWLR tank for at least 15 years if not more. Had a breeding pair of clowns for over 10 yrs. I thought I am pass the novice saltwater fish stage.

haha, all that went down the drain this morning. For the longest time I am using the cheap plastic hydrometer to test salinity. The hydrometer have a ‘green zone’ so I assume that’s the target salinity. I always aim to get to the green zone. Fish is doing fine, so why change . The hydrometer is so worn out that I could barely read the marking anymore. Well, I took a closelook and all these years I have been mixing saltwater at 1.21 salinity! That’s there green zone.

maybe this explains why any snails I have in the tank keep dying in a matter of weeks.

well, going to slowly raise the salinity to 1.25.
1.021 is great for fish. That number is “green” for fish.
Now certainly increase slowly to 1.025 if you have corals and inverts also.

My Oops was not knowing that the returns on my Pro-Clear 180g were Metric.

OP
OP
N

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.021 is great for fish. That number is “green” for fish.
Now certainly increase slowly to 1.025 if you have corals and inverts also.

My Oops was not knowing that the returns on my Pro-Clear 180g were Metric.
Huh didn’t know 1.021 is great for fish. I don’t have any corals but a couple for hermit crabs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opps more than once is forgetting about my ro. I've overflowed the barrel multiple of times

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
+1 on the ro. Whoops

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back