Open debate on marine pure blocks and other materials!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 125Long, with the trigger system triton 44 sump.
In my last tank I had some marine pure blocks in the sump. Due to an ick outbreak the tank has since been fallow and I’ll be waiting 3 months before moving any live rock or marine pure to the new tank.

Is marine pure worth it?
Should I move it to the new tank after the 3 months?
Are there other alternatives?

a while back I was reading that the marine pure blocks leeched out nitrates and decomposed or deteriorated over time causing future issues..

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Pure is fine, I’ve got one block with no issues, but I personally prefer Seachem Matrix or DeNitrate because it will virtually never need replacing, it’s basically fancy stones.

There are all sorts of bio media available and I’m sure most will work so it’s personal preference

The Marine Pure issue was that it ‘allegedly’ leached aluminium but there’s an article on their web site about this.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Pure is fine, I’ve got one block with no issues, but I personally prefer Seachem Matrix or DeNitrate because it will virtually never need replacing, it’s basically fancy stones.

There are all sorts of bio media available and I’m sure most will work so it’s personal preference

The Marine Pure issue was that it ‘allegedly’ leached aluminium but there’s an article on their web site about this.
Good to know! I didn’t have an issue with the previous tank in regards to marine pure blocks but I did get Dino’s and ick in the system..

I was reading 76 days with no fish and the ick will die and I figure another 2 weeks just to be sure.. só a full 3 months before I transfer it

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find artificial matrix blocks do not age well. They are pretty fragile to start with compared to real reef rock. They are convenient for their shape and size. If they dont fall apart then I would use them.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same thing that any of those things, blocks, balls, etc that they can increase nitrates and phosphates. I don't know if this is true or not. I have had high phosphates and nitrates for a while and have tried everything else to get it down. Recently I took out my ceramic bio balls to see if that will change anything. No test results yet.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same thing that any of those things, blocks, balls, etc that they can increase nitrates and phosphates. I don't know if this is true or not. I have had high phosphates and nitrates for a while and have tried everything else to get it down. Recently I took out my ceramic bio balls to see if that will change anything. No test results yet.
Hey I just saw this not sure how I missed it.. lol but yes that’s exactly what I read too..

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just saw this not sure how I missed it.. lol but yes that’s exactly what I read too..

I took my blocks out of both my tanks and I’ve seen a reduction to phosphates and Nitrates in both... however, I added refugiums to both as well, added more live rock, and increase the amount of phosguard that I use... so I have no clue what actually worked.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back