Open up little guys! Why won't they open?

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dust or film you mentioned makes me think bacterial or lack of flow
No film but dust yes. A brown powdery dust. The flow on them is good. I blew it all off of them earlier today with a monoject and will watch to see if it comes back. If it does I have a dip coming this week hopefully if the mail is fast enough. I can always go to my farm and grab some peroxide and dip them in that at the right dilution.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No film but dust yes. A brown powdery dust. The flow on them is good. I blew it all off of them earlier today with a monoject and will watch to see if it comes back. If it does I have a dip coming this week hopefully if the mail is fast enough. I can always go to my farm and grab some peroxide and dip them in that at the right dilution.
Peroxide is good if the zoas are engulfed in green hair algae although it can be rough for zoas depending on the ratio and time

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does it look like this? If so do a furan 2 dip series. One pack of furan 2 to one cup of tank water for 10 minutes for three days and place back in the tank in an area of very high flow

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just the zoas getting used to the new parameters which are pretty far off. Nitrates are fine imo. What is po4?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If phosphates are way too low the zoas likely won’t fully open and won’t grow very well. The tank looks pretty clean. How long has it been set up?

You also mentioned nitrite readings???

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading this right that your Calcium is 250? If so, that seems quite low even for Zoas, I'd move that back up quicker rather than slower...

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this? If so do a furan 2 dip series. One pack of furan 2 to one cup of tank water for 10 minutes for three days and place back in the tank in an area of very high flow
No it does not look like that, thank God. Honestly I think it was just detritus built up from my buddy's tank I guess I didn't clean them off good enough. Good to know about the peroxide, I don't plan on using it, it was just I had it in an emergency situation. I just ordered my dip from Marine Depot and wasn't sure how long it would take to ship.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading this right that your Calcium is 250? If so, that seems quite low even for Zoas, I'd move that back up quicker rather than slower...
I'm an idiot, when I did the calcium test I used the magnesium part A so it threw my readings off. Calcium is 460 which is actually a little high. I did a 10% water change yesterday so hopefully that helps bring it down. My tank has only been set up for 2 weeks. Its at the end of its cycle (used Microbacter Start XLM) as I said ammonia is 0 but Nitrites are still hanging around @.03 so that could be part of the issue with them, although the other colony is happy. My anemone is very happy and my Ricordeas so so. I also have an Acan Echinata that is doing well. I probably shouldn't have let my friend pressure me into taking those corals yet but it's hard to say no to free stuff! PO4 I haven't personally tested but I do have some as my Cheato is growing and thriving. LFS tested my water last weekend and said I did have PO4. I'll test it tonight.

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 weeks? There’s your issue. Also get a phos test kit ASAP. One of the most important and hardest to master parameters.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 weeks? There’s your issue. Also get a phos test kit ASAP. One of the most important and hardest to master parameters.
Thanks man. I knew it would be. I've been doing this hobby for a long time. Took a break for several years and just came back. I should have known better but again it was hard to say no to free stuff probably should have given it another week or so. They're animals and I need to be thoughtful of their needs. I have a PO4 kit. I actually bought 4 different Red Sea test kits so I can test plenty of parameters. I'll check out the phosphates tonight and report back.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I knew it would be. I've been doing this hobby for a long time. Took a break for several years and just came back. I should have known better but again it was hard to say no to free stuff probably should have given it another week or so. They're animals and I need to be thoughtful of their needs. I have a PO4 kit. I actually bought 4 different Red Sea test kits so I can test plenty of parameters. I'll check out the phosphates tonight and report back.
Red Sea test kits are pretty good

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Red Sea testers are junk.
The OP has already bought 4 Red Sea test kits and are more than sufficient for the tank at hand. I personally only use Hanna for alk and cal since my tank is full and I have to dose a fair amount.

15F462E4-BF03-44E5-889F-F0DC20E7D850.jpeg 7316A6C0-B04A-496F-B9DD-03961C571F37.jpeg

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you always keep your light running more of a blue spectrum the zoas may require more light or you have zoanthid eating nudibranch yes Virginia they do exist?

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP has already bought 4 Red Sea test kits and are more than sufficient for the tank at hand. I personally only use Hanna for alk and cal since my tank is full and I have to dose a fair amount.

15F462E4-BF03-44E5-889F-F0DC20E7D850.jpeg 7316A6C0-B04A-496F-B9DD-03961C571F37.jpeg
Holy crap dude that's a lot of Red Sea test kits! Once my tank fills up more I will switch to Hanna. I just didn't want to make the large investment right in the beginning especially with a tank with not much in it.

Just tested; Po4 is .07-.08 so not too bad right? Target is like .1?

I'm sure it's too new of a tank so that's my own bad. Again I feel foolish because I should have known better not to stock so quickly.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you always keep your light running more of a blue spectrum the zoas may require more light or you have zoanthid eating nudibranch yes Virginia they do exist?
I'm not thinking so but it is totally a possibility. Once I get my dip in the mail I'll get them out and dip them to be sure. My light should be good. I'm running the Ecotech Marine AB+ spectrum so there shouldn't be issue with it. CW is the white light, then Blue, Royal Blue, Green, UV, Violet, Red and Moon Light. This setting is almost an exact copy of the AB+ coral spectrum by Ecotech Marine. My phone makes it look more blue. Do you think I should I add more white? Again this was a study done by Ecotech and many people use this setting.

Screenshot_20200525-150103.png

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap dude that's a lot of Red Sea test kits! Once my tank fills up more I will switch to Hanna. I just didn't want to make the large investment right in the beginning especially with a tank with not much in it.

Just tested; Po4 is .07-.08 so not too bad right? Target is like .1?

I'm sure it's too new of a tank so that's my own bad. Again I feel foolish because I should have known better not to stock so quickly.
I try and keep mine below 0.1 I run mine around 0.4-0.8 so that is fine. I also grow macro/micro in the sump to keep algae out of my display

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and keep mine below 0.1 I run mine around 0.4-0.8 so that is fine. I also grow macro/micro in the sump to keep algae out of my display

I do as well. I have Chaeto in my Hang on back fuge. Again it's most likley just it's not finished cycling. Thanks for all of your replies man I really appreciate your point of view.

Hey question... Being that it's a new tank testing Calcium, Alk and Mag, Alk is low and so is Mag. Should I be dosing that still or wait till the cycle is finished? Obviously there's things in there using it so I assumed I should dose to get those levels where they should be.

Last edited:

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this loves my cheap currrent orbit light over my cheap 15 gallon tank .I have a basic sunrise and sunset mode that ramps up from the blue spectrum to the basic day mode it starts at 8 am blue light from then until 9:30 am then it has the day light mode for nine and one half hours At 8 pm the light begins the sunset mode ramping down to the blue light and shutting off at 9:30 pm

54179F8B-7AEC-47E3-A536-7D8BA7B9F858.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back