Opinion of rock placement

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up a fluval evo 52l reef tank and have got a box of nano caribsea life rock 10lb and I had some of these hard painted plastic pieces I found which look not bad and nice thing about them is they've got decent size holes and tunnels through them which adds something unlike the real solid rock. I have put them together like this in the picture of how I'd sit them .

So was wondering what your opinions are should I use the artificial rock pieces and just use the caribsea life rock or use it as is??

20230111_153315.jpg 20230111_153319.jpg 20230111_153322.jpg

xclusive252

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always nice to try and lay it out prior to placement in the tank but most likely wont turn out that way when you do place it in the tank. But it does look good I would only recommended try and make a ledge of some sort to help the fish out and plan for the future if you are going to put corals

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any tips on creating a ledge?. none of the pieces are obviously flat so not sure how other than adding another specific flat piece.
Do you recommend fixing all the rocks together with epoxy putty?

xclusive252

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never used epoxy to bond anything together but instead i used it to fill in voids to make it more stable as epoxy putty isnt that great. you dont need a flat piece to make a ledge you can use smaller light pieces and try and wedge it under other pieces or place a large piece with smaller pieces under kinda like a leg. feel free to pm me if you have any questions or concerns

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never used epoxy to bond anything together but instead i used it to fill in voids to make it more stable as epoxy putty isnt that great. you dont need a flat piece to make a ledge you can use smaller light pieces and try and wedge it under other pieces or place a large piece with smaller pieces under kinda like a leg. feel free to pm me if you have any questions or concerns
so I eventually did get it placed in tank and this is what I did . This was using the life rock and the 2 plastic cave like pieces you saw before in the middle of each side. Do you think it's noticeable a lot that them 2 pieces are plastic made and not real rock?
Also out of the 2 pictures do you think the 1st or 2nd placement looks better. when the rock is placed on top obviously not a lot of space between it and water level.

Attachments

• 20230121_021835.jpg
    20230121_021835.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230126_224748.jpg
    20230126_224748.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 49

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bash up the pieces and epoxy / glue them into a scape with small pieces then you could make it much more custom!

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm digging it. After a while it will all look the same and covered with cool stuff
would you say picture 1 or 2. so instead of the rock on the top that shows the area to swim through but rock is near water level where as in pic2 I've put the Rock lower down which isn't as High but I guess gives more space using that rock as well

also what's your opinion the 2 plastic cave pieces do they look OK mixed with this life rock. is it very noticeable do you think?

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bash up the pieces and epoxy / glue them into a scape with small pieces then you could make it much more custom!
how small you referring to and what type of shapes . it's mostly life rock in the tank which is the NANO life rock 10lb box.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you say picture 1 or 2. so instead of the rock on the top that shows the area to swim through but rock is near water level where as in pic2 I've put the Rock lower down which isn't as High but I guess gives more space using that rock as well

also what's your opinion the 2 plastic cave pieces do they look OK mixed with this life rock. is it very noticeable do you think?
I prefer 1, to me and my taste it seems more open and would likely allow for more light. Two seems more like a set up that certain types of fish and corals might like thought with more hiding and shady spots. Probably depends more on your taste and what you will keep.
I can't say that those pieces take away from it. They probably stand out only because 1, you know they are plastic, and 2, you are bothered somehow that they are not rock, I am guessing. To me, once covered in coralline algae you won't notice. So long as they are aquarium safe (that would be a concern for me, not knowing where you got them from) If you are sure they are safe then by all means keep them in. Please make a build thread though and track the progress over time with pics. makes me think I gotta update mine this weekend :)

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer 1, to me and my taste it seems more open and would likely allow for more light. Two seems more like a set up that certain types of fish and corals might like thought with more hiding and shady spots. Probably depends more on your taste and what you will keep.
I can't say that those pieces take away from it. They probably stand out only because 1, you know they are plastic, and 2, you are bothered somehow that they are not rock, I am guessing. To me, once covered in coralline algae you won't notice. So long as they are aquarium safe (that would be a concern for me, not knowing where you got them from) If you are sure they are safe then by all means keep them in. Please make a build thread though and track the progress over time with pics. makes me think I gotta update mine this weekend :)
thanks for that yes I was thinking no.1 as I like the openess it makes with that central gap. the plastic pieces are fir aquarium specifically made for marine tanks which is why they are painted to look like coraline algae etc and then I added 10lb nano caribsea liferock.

In this fluval evo seeing the rock work will I need more flow than just the stock pump and where should I be aiming the flow at. also will I need an additional pump for flow? I do intend this to be full of corals eventually.

xclusive252

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I eventually did get it placed in tank and this is what I did . This was using the life rock and the 2 plastic cave like pieces you saw before in the middle of each side. Do you think it's noticeable a lot that them 2 pieces are plastic made and not real rock?
Also out of the 2 pictures do you think the 1st or 2nd placement looks better. when the rock is placed on top obviously not a lot of space between it and water level.
looks good to me. send updated pics when you start stocking

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that yes I was thinking no.1 as I like the openess it makes with that central gap. the plastic pieces are fir aquarium specifically made for marine tanks which is why they are painted to look like coraline algae etc and then I added 10lb nano caribsea liferock.

In this fluval evo seeing the rock work will I need more flow than just the stock pump and where should I be aiming the flow at. also will I need an additional pump for flow? I do intend this to be full of corals eventually.
I think if you look at the posts about those tanks you will find better answers about the pump that come with it. I have no frame of reference there sorry. Probably will also depend on the types of corals you keep, some prefer flow, others do not, same with fish. for example if it is for gorgonians, macro, and say seahorses or pipefish that would likely differ from say a tank of torches and damsels

Mikeg4658

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am setting up a fluval evo 52l reef tank and have got a box of nano caribsea life rock 10lb and I had some of these hard painted plastic pieces I found which look not bad and nice thing about them is they've got decent size holes and tunnels through them which adds something unlike the real solid rock. I have put them together like this in the picture of how I'd sit them .

So was wondering what your opinions are should I use the artificial rock pieces and just use the caribsea life rock or use it as is??

20230111_153315.jpg 20230111_153319.jpg 20230111_153322.jpg
Love it! Just the way it is. Wish I would have taken the time to lay mine out as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back