Opinion on 3 fish in a 10 gallon

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals, hope everybody is well. I followed all the advice given to me regarding cycling. I decided to purchase a 10 gallon which is currently cycling. Plus I felt sorry for my 2 juvenile Damsels in an 8.5 gallon tank. I'm gonna let this cycle for a good month and am dosing with Dr. Tim's today. Due to all your help, I know not to trust my API SW kit for accurate readings with ammonia.
Question 1) When the time comes to move my fish, is it ok to move the rock from the old tank to the new tank? I already seeded some live sand from my original tank.

Question 2) Once my new tank cycles and my damsels are in, I wanted to purchase a bubble tip anemone, let that be for about 6 months, then purchase a clown fish to host it. Will 3 adult fish and an anemone crowd a 10 gallon? I know I will have to purchase better lighting for the anemone.

I've seen a few photo's on here of nano reef tanks (10 gallon) with a few fish floating around in them.

20210905_142159_resized.jpg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, 3 SMALL fish like your damselfish and one other small fish should be fine in that litrage if you manage the water quality well. The problem is the anemone, you need a larger tank to keep it due to the size they can reach, and it 's also possible that one of your fish, being small (due to the size of your tank), can be eaten by it.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, 3 SMALL fish like your damselfish and one other small fish should be fine in that litrage if you manage the water quality well. The problem is the anemone, you need a larger tank to keep it due to the size they can reach, and it 's also possible that one of your fish, being small (due to the size of your tank), can be eaten by it.
Wow, did not know that about anemone's. I guess I will just add a sand sifter Goby to complete my little tank. Thanks Laloj!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my unpopular opinion is that the tank is too small. Damsel fish / clownfish should be in minimum 20-30 gallon, putting 3 + anemone in a 10 gallon is something I would not do

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my unpopular opinion is that the tank is too small. Damsel fish / clownfish should be in minimum 20-30 gallon, putting 3 + anemone in a 10 gallon is something I would not do
^^^This^^^

Damsels are jerks. In a large enough tank there is room for their jerkness. In a 10g tank there will be war. You will end up with just one fish. And due to stability issues and the potential size it could grow to, anything other than maybe a rock flower anemone (or 2) would not end well.

jm.02

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest no more than 2 fish in a 10g. More and they'll almost certainly get stressed. Maybe a long tank could do it, but not a cube.

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard Damsels can be devils. I've had these two for a few weeks in my small tank. I just felt bad so I got a bigger tank as you guys said no way, damsels in a 8.5 gallon tank.

No fighting at all. I actually can play peek a boo with them. I've seen a video on here of damsels fighting and it's no where near that with mine.

I was told by the LFS that these (blue yellow tails) are the most docile damsels and probably won't go past 2". He wasn't trying to make a sale, because I originally wanted clowns but he said my tank was way too small.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard Damsels can be devils. I've had these two for a few weeks in my small tank. I just felt bad so I got a bigger tank as you guys said no way, damsels in a 8.5 gallon tank.

No fighting at all. I actually can play peek a boo with them. I've seen a video on here of damsels fighting and it's no where near that with mine.

I was told by the LFS that these (blue yellow tails) are the most docile damsels and probably won't go past 2". He wasn't trying to make a sale, because I originally wanted clowns but he said my tank was way too small.
The 8.5 gallon IS way too small. A 10 gallon is ALSO way too small. 20 long or 29 gallons are the BARE minimum for those fish. They'll be just as cramped in a 10 gal as in the 8.5

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8.5 gallon IS way too small. A 10 gallon is ALSO way too small. 20 long or 29 gallons are the BARE minimum for those fish. They'll be just as cramped in a 10 gal as in the 8.5
This is what the guy told me at the LFS. Salt depletes oxygen. He said for example a 10 gallon SW tank has only 80% oxygen, whereas a 10 gallon FW has 100%.
So...he said you don't need a big tank for two damsels and a goby, but the consensus was, you don't NEED a big tank but you SHOULD get one if I planned on adding more fish.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the guy told me at the LFS.
I’m not trying to sound harsh, but if you want to be successful in this hobby, you should do your own research and not believe what employees from LFS tell you.

Some of them are very knowledgeable, but that’s the exception, not the norm. Most of them will tell you whatever they need to tell you to make a sale. Sometimes they’re not intentionally lying, they just don’t know better.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the guy told me at the LFS. Salt depletes oxygen. He said for example a 10 gallon SW tank has only 80% oxygen, whereas a 10 gallon FW has 100%.
So...he said you don't need a big tank for two damsels and a goby, but the consensus was, you don't NEED a big tank but you SHOULD get one if I planned on adding more fish.
Its your tank and no one can make you do one thing or another. I, personally, would give the fish a lot more room because it provides a less stressful environment and that's important to me. In a 10 gallon, a masked goby and some sexy shrimp would make a balanced stock. I wouldn't keep larger, active fish in a small tank. Its just not fair to them and makes a ton of maintenance for me.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are the devil.
might seam innocent now but give it time .
they rarely ever prove anyone wrong and end up being role model citizens

as for bta id consider a upgrade first . In addition .
im surprised no one has said it’s too early for a anemone . Best to wait min 6 months to 1 year before considering one .

OP
OP
DebraLV

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not trying to sound harsh, but if you want to be successful in this hobby, you should do your own research and not believe what employees from LFS tell you.

Some of them are very knowledgeable, but that’s the exception, not the norm. Most of them will tell you whatever they need to tell you to make a sale. Sometimes they’re not intentionally lying, they just don’t know better.
Thanks Idech and I do appreciate all the expert help on here with my small tank. Everything went smooth as silk.

I won't be adding more fish, nor corals or anemones. I'm not that experienced. Besides it's for a small home, therapist office for drug & alcohol counseling and I'm pushing it with a 10 gallon.

I know it's not easy to maintain parameters on a small tank as they tend to crash, but I've learned so much from you guys and know what to do.

Right now I just have an Aqueon 20 gallon filter that recycles 100 gph. Just that, a heater and a wavemaker. Plus of course "life" (not "live") rock and live sand.

As far as my LFS, he has been around since I've started to walk and has pristine tanks. He knows each and every one of his fish. I'm 100% sure he would not sell me an expensive fish if my tank was too small. Believe me, my dream fish is a "Nemo" clown or two. But he said NO.
My Damsels aren't even an inch yet. They are juveniles, they don't bully (yet) but who knows. I've really learned alot from this forum.

I have so much dry, base rock and "life" Nano arches left over. I underestimated how much rock to purchase. I think I have 20 lbs left over. I did not realize Caribsea Nano arches were 8 to 12 inches long. I don't know what to do with my leftovers.

Attachments

• 20210906_172248_resized.jpg
    20210906_172248_resized.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 55

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link you should save;
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish
Before purchasing anything, I'd suggest you go there and read up on what you're thinking of purchasing. It will save you a lot of guess work. Don't know the guy at your LFS, but if he's really telling you that 2 damsels were okay in a 8.5 gallon tank for the long term, I wouldn't trust him. As noted on the web site I linked, your damsels are best kept in a small group with an odd number in a minimum tank size of 30 gallons.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I reccomended looking into a used bio cube with led and stand. Check whatever local means you have. Swip swap....Craigslist. whatever. I know this is a budget deal but making this investment now, transfer what you have and sell what's unneeded this will save you money in the long run. A 29BC can be had for pretty cheap and are perfect for what your goals are. Just my 2c

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back