• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Opinion on a picture of torch color

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what are your experiences with coral colors being different from the online vendors pictures for WYSIWYG.

recently purchased a torch with a label “Crimson”. It looked Reddish/Orange with hints of blue. When I received it they explained that it is like that in their setup, but reason being looking exactly like my other INDO torch is because of my lighting. They run Radion G5s and I run AI Hydras 32s.

It is a healthy coral but I only purchased it because I thought it would be red to orange color not yellow. I just felt the color depicted is not even close and asked why it looked exactly like just a normal INDO torch that I currently own, and they seem to be offended and want me to pack it up and pay shipping overnight, if it lives for 8hours they then will refund me. I wasn’t looking for that rather I didn’t feel it was a good explanation they gave me. I’m not here to bash them, they are a good company. I left out their name on purpose and just want to see your thoughts. I know online pictures can be deceiving but just the fact I was in the market for an orange torch and got the same thing I already have felt disappointing.

what do you guys think?

thank you.
4FFF1AB4-79B0-4E98-8260-68429AFABA8B.jpeg
31A3CB70-F33C-4F3C-9BE3-7EAF8A70D249.png

Jersey Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Hello, I was wondering what are your experiences with coral colors being different from the online vendors pictures for WYSIWYG.

recently purchased a torch with a label “Crimson”. It looked Reddish/Orange with hints of blue. When I received it they explained that it is like that in their setup, but reason being looking exactly like my other INDO torch is because of my lighting. They run Radion G5s and I run AI Hydras 32s.

It is a healthy coral but I only purchased it because I thought it would be red to orange color not yellow. I just felt the color depicted is not even close and asked why it looked exactly like just a normal INDO torch that I currently own, and they seem to be offended and want me to pack it up and pay shipping overnight, if it lives for 8hours they then will refund me. I wasn’t looking for that rather I didn’t feel it was a good explanation they gave me. I’m not here to bash them, they are a good company. I left out their name on purpose and just want to see your thoughts. I know online pictures can be deceiving but just the fact I was in the market for an orange torch and got the same thing I already have felt disappointing.

what do you guys think?

thank you.
4FFF1AB4-79B0-4E98-8260-68429AFABA8B.jpeg
31A3CB70-F33C-4F3C-9BE3-7EAF8A70D249.png
Hey @jle617, we already emailed you and stated that if you’re unhappy with the torch, ship it back to us. As we stated, there’s really no such thing as an orange torch. All of these names are silly, made up names. Customers want a name to attach to a coral, that’s simply it. We do not photoshop our photos. Depending on the light that the torch is exposed to, the coral can fluoresce differently. Again, if you’re unsatisfied, ship it back to us.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the difference is lighting/professional photography. Looking at the vendor pic, to me I’m seeing where the gold is in the orange. But many vendors do oversaturate the blue to bring out the pop (not saying that’s the case here)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this pls b moved to the vendor customer page so they can discuss their issues in private.
Yes, the OP left out the vendor name but we all know who it is now. Should be leaving the responces a DM.
OP just wanted to get opinions on how to proceed.
Sounds like the vendor did due diligence to correct the issue and the OP got miss information from the pic.
I would hope vendors could post blue and white pics side by side so we can clearly see what we're buying. More work, yes, but less entanglement in the long run.

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been going on for years, it’s not anything new.
I will say, LED lighting has made it worse as it’s easier to adjust the lighting channels to make corals pop with crazy colors.
I have had saltwater tanks since the early 2000’s, back then photoshopped corals were more prevalent, stacking pics to give them a 3d like appearance, etc.
It’s much easier now, Can just adjust the channels and add a filter, can be done on most smart phones.
This is why I like ordering from online vendors that show multiple pics, with pics of the coral under what I would consider normal lighting,
White channel turned up.
Like Blue zoo aquatics and tidal gardens, etc.
I am a little surprised more vendors haven’t gone to this method, would probably save them some headaches but I guess is what it is.
This is why I like shopping from LFS, you see in person what your purchasing.
I also no longer play the name game, just at the point, I no longer give a ****,
maybe that just comes with age, lol!
I am also not shy, I have no problem asking them to turn up the white channel so I can see what the coral looks like under what I consider normal lighting. I will also ask LFS to do the same, occasionally I get the look but they seem to not mind as much when I drop some $$$ in their store.
I come from the days when MH had a stronghold on the hobby, Seems everything has switched to led’s, not sure it’s for the better? With what LED fixture cost now, the ROI no longer there.
I will say, the fact that the vendor is offering a refund, does speak to their integrity.
Alot of vendors wouldn’t refund anything.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been going on for years, it’s not anything new.
I will say, LED lighting has made it worse as it’s easier to adjust the lighting channels to make corals pop with crazy colors.
I have had saltwater tanks since the early 2000’s, back then photoshopped corals were more prevalent, stacking pics to give them a 3d like appearance, etc.
It’s much easier now, Can just adjust the channels and add a filter, can be done on most smart phones.
This is why I like ordering from online vendors that show multiple pics, with pics of the coral under what I would consider normal lighting,
White channel turned up.
Like Blue zoo aquatics and tidal gardens, etc.
I am a little surprised more vendors haven’t gone to this method, would probably save them some headaches but I guess is what it is.
This is why I like shopping from LFS, you see in person what your purchasing.
I also no longer play the name game, just at the point, I no longer give a ****,
maybe that just comes with age, lol!
I am also not shy, I have no problem asking them to turn up the white channel so I can see what the coral looks like under what I consider normal lighting. I will also ask LFS to do the same, occasionally I get the look but they seem to not mind as much when I drop some $$$ in their store.
I come from the days when MH had a stronghold on the hobby, Seems everything has switched to led’s, not sure it’s for the better? With what LED fixture cost now, the ROI no longer there.
I will say, the fact that the vendor is offering a refund, does speak to their integrity.
Alot of vendors wouldn’t refund anything.
Lately I go to those Coral shows, I just bring a flashlight with me. If I see something I like a flash of light on it from up above can actually see what the coral looks like and look for any problems with the coral.

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as stated. They have been working with me and I understand the circumstances. As replied earlier I was just seeking opinions on the color of the TORCH.

I read a lot about acros being brown upon shipment. I read about possible bleaching and necrosis. I tried to work with the vendor and kept them anonymous. The weird part was 5 turned white and 2 showed necrosis half way. They replaced those to satisfy me which was great on their end. I ordered the 20 pack and 15 were good I suppose to just not bleaching. I have other sps in my tank. Acros are definitely finicky and every system is different. They were nice enough to replace the 5 and I thanked them for that and continued to purchase because they stand behind their product.

I felt they had great customer service and only just felt during THIS purchase the colors were way off. I did not even ask for a refund or replacement on this purchase. I only questioned why it was so different and felt it was not WYSIWYG, that is all. I reached out to others for opinions not bashing anyone. Jersey Corals has excellent service and communication. It appears they are offended and I apologize for that.

Also to clarify, the comment about “Yes they look good there” Is pointed towards their response of what it looked like in their tank after the sent me a picture from their end. So I figured of course stress of shipment and differences in our tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is exactly what I saw on the website. You can see a gold color torch behind the “Crimson Tide” torch I purchased. The colors are totally different. So that is where my gripe is and why I wanted opinions. The color in that picture alone made the impression it should be different that the gold color one. I have an Indo gold torch so I wanted a different color for my torch collection.
771C5410-03AC-4C6B-9237-87E80FD3DA11.png

Jersey Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Here is exactly what I saw on the website. You can see a gold color torch behind the “Crimson Tide” torch I purchased. The colors are totally different. So that is where my gripe is and why I wanted opinions. The color in that picture alone made the impression it should be different that the gold color one. I have an Indo gold torch so I wanted a different color for my torch collection.
771C5410-03AC-4C6B-9237-87E80FD3DA11.png
Which is why we said if you’re unhappy, pack it up, ship it back and we will refund.

Jersey Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
here is another one we have. Is this closer to what you’re looking for? Again, this is with an iPhone camera so there are no guarantees this torch will look the same in your system.
BD73A43D-984A-47B8-B3D6-02408FBEEAAF.jpeg
95FCC79F-5970-42FE-BA8B-A46D546DE3D8.jpeg
95C428AD-CBCC-4212-AF8B-971D3A1D41DF.jpeg
94A18591-9549-40F3-A4FE-6A050463F17D.jpeg

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not getting the point of my post. I am unhappy, yes. I did not want a replacement or refund. Never once mention or asked for it regarding this torch. Even kept your company name out of it. I was just disappointed from what I expected because of the picture for a WYSIWYG and asked for opinions as clearly stated in my op post. I even praised your company as a good company.

I only question the picture to product. You can differentiate colors in your own picture clearly there. I told you I will support your company because of your customer service to satisfy the customer.

You came out, guns blazing defending yourself. I get it, but you should read closer that I did not mention your company at all. I am sorry you feel defensive about my post, it was not geared to bash your company at all. Again, this is just a request for fellow reefers opinion about colors and their experiences with WYSIWYG purchases.

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, what color in your opinion is the Crimson Tide torch then. The one you see depicted on your website as WYSIWYG. Also, in the very same picture. What is your definition of the color of the torch top left behind it. It could be me not seeing the colors correctly.

Jersey Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Btw, what color in your opinion is the Crimson Tide torch then. The one you see depicted on your website as WYSIWYG. Also, in the very same picture. What is your definition of the color of the torch top left behind it. It could be me not seeing the colors correctly.
Regardless, I don’t think we’re going to see eye to eye on this. We do not photoshop nor enhance our coral pics. Out of close to 700 orders this is only the 2nd where we’ve had a complaint about pics not matching coral.

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you feel my disappointment in the coral colors not justified. I’m just trying to see if I have something wrong with me or my phone. I see this picture of the other Crimson Tide Torch I didn’t pick to order and it is surrounded by yellows, light green and also a light orange looking JC Tiger torch. Am I correct or am I mistaken? I want to make sure I don’t have something wrong with my phone or my eyes even.

EF7253B4-C010-463D-A5BD-D037A1BF9925.png

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously ordered an INDO gold torch from Living Reef Orlando. It is a great coral and looks exactly like what I saw in the picture. So I just was curious am I seeing something wrong?

4E903DAA-7626-44E3-A8F3-9B58EA804CAD.png

for comparison this is what I received from you.

902AB6CA-2C6E-4496-B9B2-DC9DF54B1D8F.jpeg

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now come to think of it, I just noticed. The Crimson tides in your website photos are light blue to white-ish tips. Even the “phone photos you just sent” are almost light green to white-ish tips.

The one I received is clearly blue tips? Is my colors correct or am I wrong?

I tried a few spectrums and levels of lighting and could not achieve anything similar. I know it’s different brands of LED but will it differ that greatly?

OP
OP
jle617

jle617

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again this was this morning. Your Crimson Tide is on the left. Living Reef Orlando INDO Gold torch on right. Pretty much identical colors. I had just turned on the lights so it did not fully open but you can see the colors of them.

9D8EFCFD-0589-4E65-908B-C1232E5414E6.jpeg

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back