Opinion on First additions to new 150 gallon tank.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first large (ish) reef tank is just about to finish it's cycle. It's a 150 gallon wide (48" x 30" x 24") peninsula. I'm currently debating how to go about introducing my first few fish at the end of this month and was looking for some opinions and thoughts on a couple of things. First 2 fish going in will be a pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Any thoughts on who to include with them as the first inhabitants of my reef besides the CUC and the pods which are going in this week? Is it too early to add something like a McCosker Wrasse or a trio of Lyretails Anthias with the two clownfish? For reference the final stocking list would be as follows.

Copperband Butterfly
Hooded Fairy Wrasse plus maybe another flasher wrasse
Kole Tang or Bristletooth Tang or maybe a yellow tang but tank probably isn't long enough (I would only house one of these)
The last two fish to go in would be a Regal Angelfish ( my personal all time favorite fish) and either a flame angel, flameback, or coral beauty.

Otherwise anyone see any glaring issues with the above list?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first large (ish) reef tank is just about to finish it's cycle. It's a 150 gallon wide (48" x 30" x 24") peninsula. I'm currently debating how to go about introducing my first few fish at the end of this month and was looking for some opinions and thoughts on a couple of things. First 2 fish going in will be a pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Any thoughts on who to include with them as the first inhabitants of my reef besides the CUC and the pods which are going in this week? Is it too early to add something like a McCosker Wrasse or a trio of Lyretails Anthias with the two clownfish? For reference the final stocking list would be as follows.

Copperband Butterfly
Hooded Fairy Wrasse plus maybe another flasher wrasse
Kole Tang or Bristletooth Tang or maybe a yellow tang but tank probably isn't long enough (I would only house one of these)
The last two fish to go in would be a Regal Angelfish ( my personal all time favorite fish) and either a flame angel, flameback, or coral beauty.

Otherwise anyone see any glaring issues with the above list?
Add the CBB and Regal Angel at the same time (Once the tank is Atleast 3 months old if not 4-6 months).
First add the two clowns, then leave it at that for a while. This will show whether your tank is ready to take on higher bio loads. Then add the Wrasses that you want, remember to do peaceful then aggressive species. Flashers don’t always cope well with aggression so they’re best to be added first.

The last fish you should add is the tang, I would recommend sticking to the Ctenochaetus just in case some may say it’s room for a Yellow but I personally wouldn’t risk it.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the CBB and Regal Angel at the same time (Once the tank is Atleast 3 months old if not 4-6 months).
First add the two clowns, then leave it at that for a while. This will show whether your tank is ready to take on higher bio loads. Then add the Wrasses that you want, remember to do peaceful then aggressive species. Flashers don’t always cope well with aggression so they’re best to be added first.

The last fish you should add is the tang, I would recommend sticking to the Ctenochaetus just in case some may say it’s room for a Yellow but I personally wouldn’t risk it.
This sounds like a good plan. I definitely won't be adding the regal until something like 9 months to a year. I was hoping the bigger tank and having it sit for a month would mean I could add something else with the clowns but I can be patient. Thanks for the advice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good plan. I definitely won't be adding the regal until something like 9 months to a year. I was hoping the bigger tank and having it sit for a month would mean I could add something else with the clowns but I can be patient. Thanks for the advice.
If it’s the only thing you plan to add for a month then you could try to add one of the wrasses as well.

If you want recommendations on wrasses outside of Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus I can help you with that :)

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the only thing you plan to add for a month then you could try to add one of the wrasses as well.

If you want recommendations on wrasses outside of Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus I can help you with that :)
Recommend away! I should also mention I am running this tank barebottom which I know will take some of the other species off the potential list. I find Wrasses really interesting and my other holy grail fish besides the regal is a Hawaiian flame wrasse which is now out of the question. So any other wrasse suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a Genicanthus angel like a bellus. Hold a bit on the anthias until the tank is ready for multiple feedings.

OP
OP
radav88

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider a Genicanthus angel like a bellus. Hold a bit on the anthias until the tank is ready for multiple feedings.
Note taken. The genicanthus angels are pretty interesting and 100% reef safe. Bonus points for being able to keep a pair without an issue. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back