Opinion on how to use a 40 gallon breeder

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I've been (finally) making some progress on setting up my 12' 360G tank at the office (tank has been staring at me since before Christmas).

After (re)reading @melypr1985 article a few days about Coral and Invert Quarantine - I thought "Hey, why hadn't I started buying up some corals and started the QT process?" I had an extra 40G breeder tank, two 20G longs and a 10G laying around waiting for use as QTs (result of Petco sale) and the first thing that came to mind - why not setup the 40G breeder as a semi DT/QT? Where I can use it as a DT for the office lobby, but it would really be the QT for my 360G build.

So I put it together yesterday (does that mean I get another tank builder badge? :p) with a fishless cycle started. With my mind set for using it for corals and the 20Gs for QT'ing fishes. I thought that with the 20Gs, it gives me the option to do copper and it'll be easier to maintain levels and break down a 20G (or toss and get another one) than a 40G. I can keep the 20G behind the scenes.

But maybe I have it backwards? Maybe I should use the 40G breeder for the fishes as an observation tank for more room for the fishes - after TTM? And use a 20G for QT'ing the corals? But what happens if one of the fishes in the group in the 40G observation tank gets something? Then I've got to worry about breaking it down all over again? (as oppose to using it for corals where, on the premise of @melypr1985's article, I would just extend the coral's QT stay.) I don't think I'll use the 40G for copper use.

Thoughts? Opinions? Taking it to the R2R community!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say that it's entirely up to you. I'll ask if you plan to stock the big tank with larger corals/colonies? The larger 40 breeder would be better suited to house those than the 20 long. If you ask me, that would be the main deciding point for now.... another 40 breeder can always be found for the fish if needed.

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in Meredith!

I am planning on larger corals/colonies to start. That’s probably the only way I can make it ascetically pleasing as a lobby tank (don’t think office guests would wow much at a tank full of frags...)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for chiming in Meredith!

I am planning on larger corals/colonies to start. That’s probably the only way I can make it ascetically pleasing as a lobby tank (don’t think office guests would wow much at a tank full of frags...)

Very true. You'll find that if you want to QT larger colonies and have it look nice as well, then the larger coral QT will be a better fit.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 40 breeder as coral and invert quarantine and I think it is really about the perfect size. Not so small that parameters are all over the place and not so large that it is difficult to maintain. I run it with a 6x39w light fixture, a small Tunze skimmer and a Marineland Magnum internal canister filter. I am even working on doing automatic water changes from the display to coral QT to help keep everything in line.

Good with with your second display :)

Don

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a kicker... I thought I had bought a 40G breeder all this time (since Oct/Nov) - I just found out that it's actually a 55G tank!:D

I was wondering why the dimensions of a 40G stand didn't work... even though the comments said it would fit a 40G breeder. Luckily I ignored it and just bought the stand based on the dimensions I had written down.

I can't believe I did that!

Back