Opinion on Reefbreeder Nano Led vs Kessil a80 on a 10g cube.

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought the kessil a80 earlier this week and just was told it isn’t strong enough for my 10g tank for most corals. I am now thinking of returning it but I don’t have the tank budget rn to spend another $100 for the AI Primes. But my LFS sells the reefbreeder nano LED which is same price as the a80 and includes the arm mount. It is 36w. Anyone have experience with this light and recommend it?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that a A80 isn't going to be powerful enough for anything but lower light corals. I don't have experience with the reefbreeder light but I would imagine that it would be a step up and you should be able to keep a wider variety of corals compared to the Kessil. If you're on a budget take a loot at the smartfarm or nicrew Led lights on amazon. Pretty powerful, in your price range, and comes with mounts. The smartfarm is controllable also.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the a80 on a marine land portrait. It’s my desk top pico; I have the light running around 75%. Zoas at the bottom reach for light. The same color morph of zoas 4” below surface of water have short trunks and look happy (except for my sexy shrimp using them as a buffet). Haven’t tried sps other than bird nest, but the clown goby tore that up in short order.

Have been contemplating trying out either the reef breeder or the fluval nano light.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the a80 on a marine land portrait. It’s my desk top pico; I have the light running around 75%. Zoas at the bottom reach for light. The same color morph of zoas 4” below surface of water have short trunks and look happy (except for my sexy shrimp using them as a buffet). Haven’t tried sps other than bird nest, but the clown goby tore that up in short order.

Have been contemplating trying out either the reef breeder or the fluval nano light.

I have a Fluval 3.0 Nano that I used on a Flex 9 for almost a year. I didn't hate the light, just switched tanks and lights. It has all the scheduling features of the "big name" lights and a pretty decent spread and spectrum. Grew zoas and mushrooms just fine.

I still have it in its box in the "fish closet". :D

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fluval 3.0 Nano that I used on a Flex 9 for almost a year. I didn't hate the light, just switched tanks and lights. It has all the scheduling features of the "big name" lights and a pretty decent spread and spectrum. Grew zoas and mushrooms just fine.

I still have it in its box in the "fish closet". :D

That’s good to hear. My wife has the same tank on her desk, I might buy one and let her tank be the Guinea pig. I’ll hang a piece of jewelry on it and call it a valentines gift.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to hear. My wife has the same tank on her desk, I might buy one and let her tank be the Guinea pig. I’ll hang a piece of jewelry on it and call it a valentines gift.

Haha! Perfect! PM me and maybe I can save you some cash on that "Valentines gift". :D

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought the kessil a80 earlier this week and just was told it isn’t strong enough for my 10g tank for most corals. I am now thinking of returning it but I don’t have the tank budget rn to spend another $100 for the AI Primes. But my LFS sells the reefbreeder nano LED which is same price as the a80 and includes the arm mount. It is 36w. Anyone have experience with this light and recommend it?
First it is really 30W.. so 2x the Kessil (though this assumes equal watt efficiency) but about the same price..but no automation at that price point (separate cost)
3 channels and rudimentary 3 point schedule afaict.
Nano is 20W and on full 25000k white..Better customization and scheduling..75 par at 12"...

Of course one can go "Amazon Chinese" cheap..

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why are you not running it at 100%?

OP
OP
RedfishReefer

RedfishReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little update to everyone:

I ended up returning my kessil a80 and bought a redsea reefled 50 (chose that over the ai prime because I used to have it and wasn’t super impressed so wanted to try something different and heard good things about the growth from the red sea). It is arriving on Saturday so my very few corals will be without light for 3 days so hopefully they will be fine. I’m sure they will for that short period of time, heck people intentionally do that length black out with corals.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little update to everyone:

I ended up returning my kessil a80 and bought a redsea reefled 50 (chose that over the ai prime because I used to have it and wasn’t super impressed so wanted to try something different and heard good things about the growth from the red sea). It is arriving on Saturday so my very few corals will be without light for 3 days so hopefully they will be fine. I’m sure they will for that short period of time, heck people intentionally do that length black out with corals.

You can always feed them in the mean time :)

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Any update on this?
I had the ReefBreeders Nano LED over my IM Nuvo 10g at work.
My BTA was always moving and It may have disintegrated, actually. My RFAs were pretty happy with one constantly moving around the tank.
I have a little leather that was struggling, zoas that wouldn't grow, and the only things happy were the mushrooms.
I just changed over to the a80 I bought off a fellow reefer yesterday, so we will see how things go.
I do also have a NiCrew at home I can try that I had over my 20g for a little while.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back