Opinion on this roster of fish for a 126 gallon aquarium as a first timer?

BleachedCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I got a new 126 gallon aquarium and been doing some shopping for which fish I should add to the tank. I came up with this list. In your opinion, are these good picks or should I reconsider?

(1) Yellow Tang
(1) Six-Line Wrasse
(1) Azure Damselfish
(2) Common Clownfish
(2-3) Pajama Cardinalfish
(1) Firefish Goby

Thanks for any replies!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine. You'll get mixed opinions on the sixline wrasse, so you may want to have a backup like a melanarus wrasse. Instead of 2-3 pajama cardinals you might want to mix it up a bit with a pajama and banggai (I have both in my tank). Firefish are great - just make sure you have a lid (anything shaped like a torpedo, well...).

I have 43 fish in my 160-gallon display, so I'd rank that on the extreme end of stocking with your 8 proposed fish on the lower end of the spectrum - so you definitely have more room to grow and expand down the road (at least another 8 or more fish).

Other considerations:
* Chromis and anthias (great for schooling but do need to be fed more often)
* Dwarf and small varieties of angelfish
* Blennies like the midas and lawnmower
* A few other wrasses for pest control, like fairy, leopard, coris, etc.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I'm seeing is with the six-line wrasse. They can be little bullies, so I would replace it with a pink streak or fairy wrasse. Other than that, your list looks very good, and I predict that you will have a harmonious tank.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has different types of fish they enjoy, but with a tank that size, you’ve got room for a few more medium sized fish if you desire. I love my melanurus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) - super graceful and active swimmer and gorgeous colors. As long as you’ll have a sand bed for it to sleep in, I’d suggest adding a wrasse from the Halichoeres genus also.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have heard evil things about 6 line wrasses as far as aggression. The yellow tang, azure damselfish, clownfish, cardinals, and fire fish would all be fine.

Instead of the 6 line go with a reef safe flasher or fairy wrasse. You could add a chromis also. Other fish you might add would be a blenny and another small goby.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back