Opinion:

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83ACC35A-51A7-4742-A77B-33106A8E9C18.jpeg
Did I go overboard on the scape?

I wanted options for placing coral. Planning on 2 clowns, couple shrimp, and maybe a few smaller fish.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
83ACC35A-51A7-4742-A77B-33106A8E9C18.jpeg
Did I go overboard on the scape?

I wanted options for placing coral. Planning on 2 clowns, couple shrimp, and maybe a few smaller fish.
I would rearrange the scape a bit. The cave part is too narrow I would remove the bottom back rock. Also not sure if you have enough space from the sides to clean the glass!

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but I had a similar setup and found it hard to get flow under that arch so close to the glass in the back.

if you use an air pump and some line and shoot air into the pump briefly you can see the flow pattern - under those rocks I bet flow will be non existent. This led to a detritus trap that kept my nitrates high till I adjusted.

also check stability, looks like some of those could tip over if you put pressure on them.

vdubers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I like it but i would remove the lower back rock to produce more of a cave. I am totally new though but just my opinion :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have left very little space on your sandbed, if you want to keep corals in the future, the sandbed is prime retail space for some of the nicest LPS corals.

I also see you have space in between your rocks and the back glass. I know a lot of people do that to make it easier to clean the back glass, personally I don't because I dont want my fish hiding out back there, I want my fish swimming out front.

Just my opinion. Otherwise I think it looks great, I love that arch, its something I really wish I had done for my tank. Good luck

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have left very little space on your sandbed, if you want to keep corals in the future, the sandbed is prime retail space for some of the nicest LPS corals.

I also see you have space in between your rocks and the back glass. I know a lot of people do that to make it easier to clean the back glass, personally I don't because I dont want my fish hiding out back there, I want my fish swimming out front.

Just my opinion. Otherwise I think it looks great, I love that arch, its something I really wish I had done for my tank. Good luck
Thanks for the feedback!

To your point on the lack of sand bed area- I will probably wind up moving the smaller rocks on the ends to the sump to make more room.

There are actually two arches. You can't really see it, but he larger rock on the bottom front is covering up the lower opening.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove that rock in back as well, and while you're at it, move the rest forward a little bit. That will allow for better flow behind the rocks to help prevent dead spots (detritus traps). I go one step further on my tank (120DT) - I have power heads on the side glass - Koralia 850's - that are pointed behind the rocks - on the left side it is down almost to the bottom, on the right, about 2/3's of the way up. That ensures that there is always flow behind/through the rocks.

Although it may seem like wasted space with the rocks more towards the front. it will actually create more swimming area for the fish as they will then be able to swim aaround and through the rockwork easier.

OP
OP
reeferNbeer

reeferNbeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove that rock in back as well, and while you're at it, move the rest forward a little bit. That will allow for better flow behind the rocks to help prevent dead spots (detritus traps). I go one step further on my tank (120DT) - I have power heads on the side glass - Koralia 850's - that are pointed behind the rocks - on the left side it is down almost to the bottom, on the right, about 2/3's of the way up. That ensures that there is always flow behind/through the rocks.

Although it may seem like wasted space with the rocks more towards the front. it will actually create more swimming area for the fish as they will then be able to swim aaround and through the rockwork easier.
This makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Back