Opinions about my new tank

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, well I started a 29g saltwater tank. I added live sand, live rock and dry rock and nutrisea water. The guy at the LFS told me I could add fish right after, but I waited 2 weeks before adding any. So, I added an orange ocerallis clownfish ,a saddleback clownfish, an arc eye hawkfish and a Haiti anenome. What do you guys think of this combination of fish? Right now it looks really empty lol I will be adding more live rocks. Also, I would love to add a goby with a pistol shrimp, plus some cleaning little critters, and a red shrimp, but I read that the Haiti Anenome and the Hawkfish can eat the shrimp and crabs? Please give me your honest opinion. And don’t judge my tank haha it will get better.
B2AB622B-BA5C-42E4-A70C-0EE0C873A247.jpeg 6BAC5B33-AB80-4BD5-90BC-BAF572A7E276.jpeg 15F719F8-8330-4B79-A6A8-F28A5327790A.jpeg D1BC0062-2605-43BA-BF53-B8D75F81A970.jpeg 73E2B4F8-DD41-463B-859C-BBD6A3EE9937.jpeg 129C16DD-BFFA-451C-B171-B0436CEA89ED.jpeg

1CC81159-5FAB-4FCF-BCA3-650AB0BE3B38.jpeg

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes dont add anymore fish and test your water for ammonia and nitrate the tank has to be cycled and from the looks of the rocks it hasn't been your ammonia can spike up at any moment there isn't enough good bacteria yet to balance it out so be careful I know its hard to be patient cause everyone wants to fill up there tanks as quickly as possible but you can easily kill everything off . Let some more time pass by before adding anything else. Have you tested your water?

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. I hope you skip the Ugly stage of cycling a tank. most people are always going to ask you for your water parameters when you ask them does my tank look good. If your Water is Great then everything else will Flourish

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Fritz 900 to speed up the process. The kind that's in the fridge at the store.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks is very early to add fish. You need to make sure your tank is cycled before you add any livestock.

Your rock doesn't look like "live rock." True live rock will be purple, pink, green etc. It will also have many things living on and in the rock. It looks like you have dry rock, which may have been live at one time, but has been cleaned and doesn't have any of the beneficial bacteria living on and in it.

Also, you tank needs to be pretty stable for an anemone. Most recommend waiting months to a year before adding one of these

Try reading this first: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/page-34#post-5948238

After reading, if you have any questions, please ask. Your LFS isn't doing you any favors if they are selling you fish and anemones after two weeks.

Welcome to R2R! :)

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank, but it looks a bit to clean. Did the LFS mention to test for ammonia? Just want to be sure your tank is cycled
Yes dont add anymore fish and test your water for ammonia and nitrate the tank has to be cycled and from the looks of the rocks it hasn't been your ammonia can spike up at any moment there isn't enough good bacteria yet to balance it out so be careful I know its hard to be patient cause everyone wants to fill up there tanks as quickly as possible but you can easily kill everything off . Let some more time pass by before adding anything else. Have you tested your water?

Thank you guys. Yes, right now the ammonia is between .25 and .50, high range ph is at 8.2, Nitrates are at 50, I did some water change this morning, not a lot just 5 gallons. I also have been adding stability? From seachem to help.
78E23374-4094-4E08-A83D-384FA5DECAD8.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is high. Best situation would be to see if the LFS could hold the fish until done cycling. If not you will need to do water changes and add prime. Before you add prime be sure you did not dose anything that would react with prime like copper.

I would get an ammonia badge also.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes somewhat depends which one but prime is specifically for that and you have to wait 24 hours after adding prime to test your water cause it will give false readings. Trust me prime is really good

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks is very early to add fish. You need to make sure your tank is cycled before you add any livestock.

Your rock doesn't look like "live rock." True live rock will be purple, pink, green etc. It will also have many things living on and in the rock. It looks like you have dry rock, which may have been live at one time, but has been cleaned and doesn't have any of the beneficial bacteria living on and in it.

Also, you tank needs to be pretty stable for an anemone. Most recommend waiting months to a year before adding one of these

Try reading this first: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/page-34#post-5948238

After reading, if you have any questions, please ask. Your LFS isn't doing you any favors if they are selling you fish and anemones after two weeks.

Welcome to R2R! :)

I know, now I feel bad adding them so early. I want to return the anenome, it’s not looking too great. Looks weird and deflated when I turn the water pump off.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will look nice. I would be careful adding new 'live rock' that might have a fair bit of things that may 'die' and cause problem - I think you have a nice bit of rock already - when it comes time - would add 'live' soft corals or whatever - but not necessarily more rock. If the ammonia is that high - you could consider adding 'prime' - unless you did already - in which case the level will remain high even though its not causing a problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back