Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jack5746

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hi
The only thing I would correct in this - is that - some of the 'bacteria in a bottle' recommends adding fish immediately (as the ammonia source) - as compared to Dr. Tims (who recommends adding ammonia for a certain time).

If she is feeding lightly (and they will do fine with light feedings) - it should be no problem at all. Everyone seems to be recommending something on - partial information (an API ammonia and no nitrite - and a high nitrate - which may or may not be a false positive.

But - I have so say as usual - you did a great summary @BestMomEver You may need to change your handle to 'bestaquaristever' - unless @Paul B has that one already copyrighted:):):):):):):):):):):): Yes Paul that was a joke:)
the high nitrates may be from her water source.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going @Eve? Updates?

Hi, I am sorry I haven’t been here updating you guys, my nephew was born a couple of days ago so it has been crazy, and because it is my first nephew... well....he has been getting A LOT of my attention. Anyway, the fish are doing great, but tank looks brown. I did a 20% water change , not sure if it will help with anything. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 but nitrates between 25 and 50. Also, I returned the anemone a couple of days ago for two reasons: I was stressing out about the anemone not making it and because you guys helped me realize that the Condy Anemone is not compatible with the clownfish lol.

B4481074-F9AD-4F27-98CF-47B60DAB0C27.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. No more ammonia. Also good to see brown. They’re diatom. They will go away eventually. Means your tank Is you moving along nicely

Congrats on the nephew also

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. No more ammonia. Also good to see brown. They’re diatom. They will go away eventually. Means your tank Is you moving along nicely

Congrats on the nephew also

So I was looking at some pics online and reading some articles here in R2R and it seems like it’s not diatoms, but dinoflagellates? It says if its like “stringy” it’s not diatoms, and that’s how it’s mine looks like there are “hairs”

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s more like stringy jelly than hair. Pictures close-up will probably give someone with a much better eye than me a good chance to answer for sure though

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think dinos are very common.... at least I don’t see them much. I think they are plain old diatoms. They will go away. I think I mentioned that a while back. :D This is the “ugly” stage I referenced. Keep doing regular water changes and don’t feed too much. You’ll be fine.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think dinos are very common.... at least I don’t see them much. I think they are plain old diatoms. They will go away. I think I mentioned that a while back. :D This is the “ugly” stage I referenced. Keep doing regular water changes and don’t feed too much. You’ll be fine.

Well it is very ugly .. Ill wait it out I guess lol. Thank you!!!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have learned anything in my short time with my tank, is that panicking has only made things worse. It’s usually best to “wait and see” when something doesn’t open, an anemone moves..... algae grows........ etc. Usually “just wait” is the best thing you can do.

I just moved a rock and found a zoa frag that I lost a month ago..... it had stretched all the way to the edge of the plug to get whatever little light it could! Still alive though!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have learned anything in my short time with my tank, is that panicking has only made things worse. It’s usually best to “wait and see” when something doesn’t open, an anemone moves..... algae grows........ etc. Usually “just wait” is the best thing you can do.

I just moved a rock and found a zoa frag that I lost a month ago..... it had stretched all the way to the edge of the plug to get whatever little light it could! Still alive though!

Oh wow lol naughty zoa frag.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, does anybody know what this green stuff is? Is it green coralline or bad algae? I got some turbo snails that removed the brown algae in two days :confused:, but whenever they go over the green rocks it doesn’t seem to be removing it, so I am guessing it is coralline. You guys are The experts so help please!! :)
Ps : I'm including a picture of Flash standing on the snails lol. He loves it. Also, these snails are a poop machine, it seems like the siphon DO NOT remove them as well. I tried picking them up with my hand, but the poop just dissolved lol. Does anybody know what can I do? It makes the tank look horrible.
97F95F19-4A6C-46F0-8032-7DFC5AB38C27.jpeg
93FBBBE6-E688-40A3-A08B-C97874AAC95D.jpeg

Back