Opinions and Input please ?

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out a new LFS other day. Shared what I was working with. And was essentially told my aquascape was stupid and had too much dead space for coral. I’ve re done it a few times and I find this super pleasing to the eyes and can only imagine how beautiful LPS and softies will look on the back stack and front flat rock. I wanted to keep the cave and thru ways for fish to hide. Water flow is good in every inch.

Honest input please. First fish will be 2 clowns , eventually hope to introduce anemone and lfs/ softies. Excuse poor light. Set it so could see it all.
8CAADF57-AF2E-464E-BA51-69C1E04E2A29.jpeg

JBJ 28

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(First fish rebuttal) I started my cycle with mollies. After learning how a cycle works... they came out at .50 ammonia. I am empty and reading nitrate and nitrite now.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What size is that tank?

IMO I prefer just use ammonia to start the cycle. It’s much nicer than using poor fish, I can control it easier, and I can make sure to cycle the tank a few times before adding anything.

Rock work looks cool. Make sure that cave gets flow otherwise it will be a place for algae and detritus to build up.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1-I agree. My 10g I am doing no fish. I had no idea about the effect of a cycle on them. Was just guided this way before finding this forum and beginning my education. Even if they are “just” Molly. I love watching them school and how they react to my feedings.

2- I added the 3rd power head to make sure of that. It’s why you see the sand pile to the right. Was dialing in current while making sure (dental floss in Tongs) moved at every location. Not sure if that proves it, just what I thought might.

It is only a 28G. Already considering using this to start a 45-55 after doing a lot of research on the livestock I want and investing in a AQ HOB 1.5 and additional power heads

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..that shelf rock covered cave has a very large opening behind what you see. So it moved some. (Not like the rest of the tank). Before moving them out most of the Molly slept back there.

Junglejim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get that flat rock to be an actual shelf, not a slope, so that you have the option to place some low light critters in its shadow.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get that flat rock to be an actual shelf, not a slope, so that you have the option to place some low light critters in its shadow.
It’s super flat on the bottom. Flat and smooth..didn’t really match with the rest of the tanks rock. But I could flip it? As it it’s slopes on all sides from the center down.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed the shelf rock. What this is doing currently still allows light through the center and not as much shadowed area. Shelf is in the qt atm and may try to redo it.

B8EDA0A5-AC98-4D36-87F5-B51E4B0F568E.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back