Opinions Needed! Lightening Maroon Clownfish Tankmates

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

Over the weekend my LFS had a customer appreciation event where a few different pairs of fish, assorted gear and in-store credit were given away. I happened to win a set of Lightening Maroon Clownfish. I have an empty but cycling 65 gallon tank that they will be going in. They are also relatively young yet as well. I have heard that they can be aggressive, so I wanted to do a little research and see which other types of fish would go with these guys. We would like to have a few fire shrimp and a wrasse for sure if they will get along.

hungry finding nemo GIF by California Academy of Sciences

In your experience, what are the best tankmates for the lightening maroon clownfish?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would both work.....I personally have not had any aggression problems from maroons other than with other clownfish. As long as they have their own territory, you "should" be fine.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise, my maroons were never an issue as long as no other clowns were added. A few reef safe smaller wrasses, a blood shrimp, maybe some of the less aggressive damsels (Chrysiptera and Pomacentrus spp.) would look nice. Cardinals, gobies, and dwarf angels are also good choices for a tankmates. I also found that my clowns tend to be less aggressive and guard a smaller area with an anemone present. Maroons love bubbletips, so should be pretty easy to do so long as you get decent lights.

OP
OP
C

chelsey2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise, my maroons were never an issue as long as no other clowns were added. A few reef safe smaller wrasses, a blood shrimp, maybe some of the less aggressive damsels (Chrysiptera and Pomacentrus spp.) would look nice. Cardinals, gobies, and dwarf angels are also good choices for a tankmates. I also found that my clowns tend to be less aggressive and guard a smaller area with an anemone present. Maroons love bubbletips, so should be pretty easy to do so long as you get decent lights.

As soon as we are coral ready, I definitely plan on getting some. We have a pretty decent light setup so I'm hoping the venture into corals goes well. Here's a picture of my tank with lights on for fun!

Tank 10.jpg Tank 20.jpg

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me feel better as well. I have a single LM clown in my DT and a yellowtail damsel waiting in QT and was getting worried about them not getting along.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroons have been great with all non clown fish. Have dwarf angels tang CBB chromis gramma. No issues. My flame fights with my female maroon but is the instigator.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had lightning clowns and they were jerks, a bit more so than my mated picassos. But not so much to cause any major issues

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me feel better as well. I have a single LM clown in my DT and a yellowtail damsel waiting in QT and was getting worried about them not getting along.
I have a yellow tail damsel as well and it can be pretty territorial and aggressive towards my other clowns but it's funny I have a clown when has been in tank since day one and she will let the damsel know who's tank it is real quick and put the damsel in its place lol. Just be careful those damsels can get pretty mean

Back