Opinions on Cobalt Neotherm, 150 watt

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, looking for opinions, anyone having problems with the 150 watt? Looking for new heaters
After seeing a 200 w ( 2012 model) just pop and smoke I’m kind of reluctant.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brave is the person who buys another Neo-therm after one just blew on him. I feel like if you hadn't been home at the time, another unit wouldn't be in consideration whatsoever right now.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s her, what heater do you use?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jagers only. And if not them, I'd go with a titanium heater or maybe IM's new PTC heater.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One from 8 years ago, thousands sold since(including a 50,75 and 200 watt to me), I don't think you should buy one as everytime I need to buy one they're out of stock and I have to hunt to find one.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t ever trust a heater, but I trust the neotherms less than any other. I’m switching to BRS titanium on my new build, current build switching to eheim Jager, because that’s what I happen to have laying around. They have pretty good reviews. Get that neotherm out of your tank before it kills everything. Not an exaggeration, it happened to me.

VJC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 that lasted less than a year before they started to leak current. I was getting shocked every time I put my hand in the tank and eventually found out it was the neotherms. Others have noted the same problem. I would definitely stay away.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jagers only. And if not them, I'd go with a titanium heater or maybe IM's new PTC heater.
Just ordered 2 Ehiem Jagers, I'm also looking at the IM PTC.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t ever trust a heater, but I trust the neotherms less than any other. I’m switching to BRS titanium on my new build, current build switching to eheim Jager, because that’s what I happen to have laying around. They have pretty good reviews. Get that neotherm out of your tank before it kills everything. Not an exaggeration, it happened to me.
It was out very quickly.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One from 8 years ago, thousands sold since(including a 50,75 and 200 watt to me), I don't think you should buy one as everytime I need to buy one they're out of stock and I have to hunt to find one.
This was a backup, stored in a cabinet. So much for that. I only use heaters Oct-March depending on weather.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 that lasted less than a year before they started to leak current. I was getting shocked every time I put my hand in the tank and eventually found out it was the neotherms. Others have noted the same problem. I would definitely stay away.
I was wondering that myself. Just ordered 2 new heaters, the other Neotherm will be pulled when these show up.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 2 Ehiem Jagers, I'm also looking at the IM PTC.
Ok you got me looking- read a lot of reviews on a lot of different heaters.
Seems the neotherms get just about the same reviews as some other brands- some good and some not so good. They are out of stock in every size and everywhere-maybe they quit making them because of the things you mentioned.
I am limited for space(3rd chamber IM nuvo 10/20 peninsula tanks). Put up a thread in the Nano forum to see what others are using. I like the Eheim Jager heaters but looks like they're to long to fit( 2.5" longer for 50 watt and 3.7" longer for 75 watt than the 6.5" length for the neotherm).
Did look at the IM PTC for my IM 50 lagoon and that looks like a good heater but being brand new there is no history as to how well it works, etc. Still I might just buy one for the heck of it. got to go home and look at my tank and see if the 2 100 watt model will fit--Got a reef octopus classic 90 HOB skimmer in that sump too.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m probably going to do, just order one. I had one Neotherm in my overflow, pulled it and placed in sump, just in case faster to pull it out. After speaking with BRS rep, heaters are going into the sump, easier to get to. I was looking at their titanium heaters but read they are too hot, not going there.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best heater I have ever used that has never failed.....

Finnex titanium rods hooked up to a controller. I do replace them every couple years(just in case), and have about 5 in my closet that are still in perfect working condition.

My current one(only because I keep forgetting to replace it when I'm in my sump) is about 3 years old and still rock stable.

There nothing in them to fail, they are either on or off depending on what the controller calls for. Apply electricity, it's on, turn off the electricity, it's off. No little internal thermostat to get stuck.

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I just ordered the IM PTC heater, hope it’s a good one.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened? Fish/coral stew?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always surprised to read how many Neo-Therm haters there are. I've never had a problem with one (I think I have 5 in use at the moment and the one in my salt mixing station is probably 8+ years old). They probably have the best warranty on the market and some of the best temp control too. Their instructions state they must to be mounted vertically (which I always do) and I wonder if people who have them fail may be mounting them horizontally.

Last edited:

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both cobalt and more recently jagar since I've read so much about the cobalts frying tanks. I keep it as a backup now

OP
OP
DHill6

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be a great one, and it should be given the price! :)
I know, especially when you pay for 3 yr warranty. At that point what’s $36 more. Hopefully they stay in business. I figured it’s not any more than a pump, reactor, but it’s vital not to smoke, fry, shock. At least the heater can be bought separately from the controller. Yes, I also have an Apex, maybe overkill.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back