Opinions on fake anemones?

Reef_scuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two young clownfish, they are the only fish in the tank.

Every night as soon as it's lights out the bury their heads in the substrate to create a dip for them to sleep in. Super cute right??! Keep trying to get a decent photo but to afraid to put the flash on ha.

So I am thinking of getting a fake 'artificial' anemone, if it turns out they don't host it I don't mind but want to give them the option and I don't feel exsperianced enough for a real one!

Just want your opinion on them.. what type and where from?! Im in the UK.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of clowns in my tank that always hung out in one corner. I was not ready to put a real nem in so I put a fake one I found at the LFS. They loved it and used it even after I added a real one. Then one day after a year or so, they decided to try the real one and never went back. It definitely seemed to make them happier to have something at least somewhat life like to hang our in.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love toadstools, they seem to be very hardy if you're worried about anemones.
1483927611605.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen frogspawn, hammers and torch corals used as hosts as well.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful 6 inch dia green marble bubble tip anemone.... very healthy, keeps growing..... in the perfect position for my clowns..... but they are still hosted by the mag float algae scraper! :confused:

There's no accounting for taste!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fake nem before, not sure about the quality but the clown never got near it...it might be the rubber smell, or the texture, the way it feels ..... :); The rubber feel can never replace the nem touch and they know it.....They will host a mushroom before they are desperate enough to use the rubber nem LOL!

OP
OP
Reef_scuba

Reef_scuba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions im going to check it all out now! Might try a fake for now.. and when I have the time/money get a new lamp so I can look at getting a real one!

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There not hard to care for. Number one thing though is stability. and that comes from just being patient and letting your tank run. minimum 6 months but a year old tank would be better.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful 6 inch dia green marble bubble tip anemone.... very healthy, keeps growing..... in the perfect position for my clowns..... but they are still hosted by the mag float algae scraper! :confused:
I think most Clowns are fairly dense!
Mine does the same .
image.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen frogspawn, hammers and torch corals used as hosts as well.
My pearl eye Clarkii hosts near a large wall hammer I have in the tank. He's not even remotely interested in the LTA next door! He doesn't really host IN the coral, but he protects it and brings it food :)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang a picture of clowns in an anamone .. worked for me :cool:

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that before and the other person also reported success for that case. I am not sure the nem in the picture has to be kind of similar to the nem you are trying to make them love...or they go like WT...This is not the same thing LOL.....!
Hang a picture of clowns in an anamone .. worked for me :cool:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that before and the other person also reported success for that case. I am not sure the nem in the picture has to be kind of similar to the nem you are trying to make them love...or they go like WT...This is not the same thing LOL.....!
I tried for something similar .. this was just over a year ago .. I'd just started in this hobby and a more recent photo too

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad it's not just mine that use the mag float as their home. They rarely leave it and can see their wee faces getting angry if I dare to use it to clean the glass!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back