opinions on my stocking in my 55 reef

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what others think of my choices, what I may want to add or subtract in the future.

Currently have the following.

Pair of false perc clowns, still small
Yellow tang (I know he'll grow out and have to go)
Bangaii cardinal, just one big one
Golden head goby
6 line wrasse, this guy is barely any inch right now.
Royal gramma

Everybody is decently small and young except the cardinal.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those fish except for the tang can live long and prosper in a 55 gallon. The only issues I can potentially see are the goby creating sandstorms, and the sixline potentially becoming aggressive as it grows up.

When I had a sixline with a royal gramma, they would squabble over food and a particular cave that both of them seemed to like, ended up getting rid of the sixline and moved him 600 miles to my girlfriend's parents' tank in West Palm Beach, FL :rolleyes:

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't add any new fish later then they would live happy together, the six line will show aggression to new tank mate if smaller than its current size. My Royal Gamma keep my six lines in place LOL, the Gamma gave the six line many bites mark on the body and the face when they are disputing the area/caves in rock works to make sure who's the boss in specific spot, now they just leave each other alone.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had sixlines become problems, especially when adding new fish to a tank.
+1 on this, the only fish I have ever had that was worse than a damselfish with new additions.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why he was the last to join the crew. I tried to plan them I order of aggression.

Any new additions will be due to replacement if needed.

Or if I get mad at the goby and decide I'm tired of blowing sand off muy rocks.

Should be decently peaceful if I don't change anything, it's active which is what I was going for.

Still odd on my transition from cichlids when I had 17 fish in this same tank all living semi peacefully and breeding constantly.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd bump this rather than starting another thread. I traded in my goby on some frags because he was trying to kill my coral so I'm down one.

I'd like to add another fish but not sure what direction to go. Color and activity are always a plus. Leave it alone or add something new?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of cleaner gobies are pretty interesting and don't really add to the fish load.
We have two blue ones and two gold ones and they are pretty active for a perching fish.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of cleaner gobies are pretty interesting and don't really add to the fish load.
We have two blue ones and two gold ones and they are pretty active for a perching fish.
Do they stir up sand? I have a lot of lps on the sand bed

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd bump this rather than starting another thread. I traded in my goby on some frags because he was trying to kill my coral so I'm down one.

I'd like to add another fish but not sure what direction to go. Color and activity are always a plus. Leave it alone or add something new?
I'd leave it alone for now and let your fish and coral grow.

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider getting a lemon peel dwarf angel to replace the tang when the time comes. Its something I wish I had done instead of tang buy. Although I did get him at first to see if it was as prone to sicknes as I've read. It does catch anything fast once someone else has it. Also eventually want a powder blue an thought the yellow would be a good fish to help me learn about tangs first hand. Qt and copper helped me fight off velvet. I keep a pair of neon blue gobie to help keep her (YT) feeling pretty.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm agreed with @DSC reef that you should leave your tank as it, adding new fishes would lead you into disease problem either from new fishes or new fishes lacking of immune system to deal with whatever present in your tank. I have to say again that I hate quarantine new fishes so I do not have the urge to buy new fishes LOL

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't add any new fish later then they would live happy together, the six line will show aggression to new tank mate if smaller than its current size. My Royal Gamma keep my six lines in place LOL, the Gamma gave the six line many bites mark on the body and the face when they are disputing the area/caves in rock works to make sure who's the boss in specific spot, now they just leave each other alone.
thats funny. I have never seen a royal gramma actually make contact. Mine will chase my clowns away from his cave, with his mouth wide open. Its just a bluff though, he never actually bites.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats funny. I have never seen a royal gramma actually make contact. Mine will chase my clowns away from his cave, with his mouth wide open. Its just a bluff though, he never actually bites.
Yep, the last fight the Royal was mouth locked (the royal was locked the six line month in its larger mouth) the six line for more than 1 mintute and almost kill the six line due to out of breath lol I'm close to interfere them using my feeding stick but the Royal released it. The six line was heavy breath to catch up for few mins and then just stay out of the royal way. Now, the six line cruising along with the kole tang for most of the time.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neon blue and neon gold cleaner gobies don't really hang out on the sand as much as perch on a mid level or higher rock and wait for another fish to come by to clean.

They are not your typical sand sifting goby.

They are effortless and stay under 2 inches.

Would avoid a lemon peel angel if you have LPS.
I have wanted one since before I set up my first salt water tank. But not happening.

All angels have some likelihood of devouring your corals.
Lemon peels are considered some of the most likely to be well fed in your LPS tank.
[emoji19]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that lemonpeel angels are a bad choice for a tank with LPS.

In most cases royal grammas are well behaved.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back