Opinions on Natural Parasites Elimination

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you opinions on products labeled to be reef-safe/natural to get rid of things like ich and velvet? I have heard very mixed things some saying it killed everything and others praising them so I am curious what your though are. Ex: PolypLab Medic, Kordon Ich Attack, Microbe-Lift Herbtana, Ruby Reef Rally Pro, etc.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you opinions on products labeled to be reef-safe/natural to get rid of things like ich and velvet? I have heard very mixed things some saying it killed everything and others praising them so I am curious what your though are. Ex: PolypLab Medic, Kordon Ich Attack, Microbe-Lift Herbtana, Ruby Reef Rally Pro, etc.
Most are snake oil. Best option for management is hydrogen peroxide dosing and running a UV IMO.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull out and put in quarantine, dose in quarantine copper or what ever is needed . Run main tank fallow with a UV light for 90 days . Especially if you have coral in main tank

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich management such as?
I think there is a sticky post in the disease forum , or ask @Paul B , my method is a bit different. Ultimately I focus on feeding the fish a variety of foods that I also soak in selcon. Healthy fish don’t get ich , meaning if well fed and stress free there could be ich in the system but no fish will show signs. Focus on improving their immune system rather than dealing with diseases in a sense. I was able to rescue a yellow tang covered in ich from a pet store doing this , no meds.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And build thread?! Would love to see it
Here is my tank. I’m not exactly sure this is what you were asking lol. But here it is.

Attachments

• 802D3F77-B880-4359-B2C4-9664E3A22F9E.jpeg
    802D3F77-B880-4359-B2C4-9664E3A22F9E.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 29

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will not get a consensus on this and when dealing with ick and velvet, it is best to stick with the tried and true method of copper. This is all long as you are not dealing with copper sensitive species. Read the ingredients in some of these "natural" products and you will find caustic chemicals that are just as deadly as copper, and some more so. Without the reward vs risk of a product that at least has a very high efficacy as with copper.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank. I’m not exactly sure this is what you were asking lol. But here it is.
Yes kinda lol , you can create a build thread to document yr tank and see yr progress , you can also see under anyone else name if they have a build thread badge to see their tanks progress , just click it

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes kinda lol , you can create a build thread to document yr tank and see yr progress , you can also see under anyone else name if they have a build thread badge to see their tanks progress , just click it
I definitely will.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best management is keeping your fish healthy and fat and fed. Same with the water. Do wcs monthly and be done with it.
D
The simplicity of this statement. I work with this philosophy and a giant uv that heats my tank like the sun lol.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at this as a low and slow BBQ methodology. Start by assuming that your tank is infested and work down from there. I have not added a new fish in several years and am confident enough to claim that I do not have ich in my system. Reefing is not an action sport, it is more of a slow motion sport. There are no quick fixes.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only things I've tried is polyp lab, rally and paraguard. The rest is utter trash. As everyone else says, the ultimate cure is copper.

I'm a bit old school, I don't QT but I keep a 10g hospital tank going if I get a fish with active symptoms. I do buy from qt vendors (which does backfire) for the most part so ymmv.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at this as a low and slow BBQ methodology. Start by assuming that your tank is infested and work down from there. I have not added a new fish in several years and am confident enough to claim that I do not have ich in my system. Reefing is not an action sport, it is more of a slow motion sport. There are no quick fixes.
Everyone tries the quick fix tho, which causes a LOT of heartburn in this hobby.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT is the only way true way.

Keep in mind that there is nothing more "natural" in dosing the products you listed compared to something like copper power. I'd argue that copper is more "natural" than what you listed

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also argue that letting the fish repeatedly get ich over and over be that intense or not, could possibly create more effective ich over time. Its a rapid feed back loop and, depending on the mutation rate of the parasite, the duration the tank is up, and the duration of "immunity" or whatever you want to call it towards the protazoan, could lead to the disease being better and better at infecting the fish. Again, this is speculation as someone would need to do a long term study on this that is beyond the capabilities of most hobbyists.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back