Opinions on tank desk build for 25G Lagoon

teckademics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a custom 10ft x 2ft x 2in butcher block desk for my office. Using a 10ft solid birch butcher block from lowes and 3 Ikea Alex Drawers. I plan to setup a 25 Gallon IM Lagoon centered above the middle Alex Drawer. The Lagoon will have an one of the ikea alex drawers which is 14in wide supporting the bulk of the 23" inch wide tank. My question is, is 2in thick of hard wood strong enough to evenly distribute the 4.5" of overhang on each side? The tank is flat bottom and has a self leveling pad pre-installed so luckily the weight is evenly distributed.

I've included an illustration with the areas in question in red.

Untitled.png

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will be fine, if you saw how one of my LFS cantilever tanks across you would not be able to sleep at night. I do have that tank but I have their stand as well. Welcome to the IM Lagoon club.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely be fine. i have mine on a base cabinet from Lowes and love it. It would take a pretty tremendous amount of point pressure to get that much wood to bow a significant amount over that small a distance

OP
OP
teckademics

teckademics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will be fine, if you saw how one of my LFS cantilever tanks across you would not be able to sleep at night. I do have that tank but I have their stand as well. Welcome to the IM Lagoon club.

I'm hyped to be a part of the lagoon club. Such an awesome aquarium. Moving in some really old ocellaris clowns I've had since I was just getting into the hobby about 15 years ago.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great club there are tons of You Tube videos, they even have a meet at MACNA, I just bought my second AI Prime HD for my tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back