Opinions on Viparspectra 165w...

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, currently I am running a 29g for almost a year (April) and I've been wanting to either upgrade my lighting from the Current USA IC Marine to the Viparspectra 165w or double up on CU IC Marine bars due to realizing that just one bar isn't enough for my BTA's (none died, just relocating to higher spots for better lighting) and SPS (blue birdsnest bleached). From what I've been researching and asking for people's input on this form I've been considering getting one of these black box's due to their price, would this be a smart move? I know that if I were to upgrade lights I would have to sell my whole CU setup (light, modules, 1x wavepump) to get my money back, which means I have to find a new wavemaker. Any opinions or tips are welcome. Thank you in advance.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s been the most popular of the Chinese lights

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a way to mount them high then it could work. They are one of the best blackboxes out there.

Can't you still use the current wave maker on its own?

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a way to mount them high then it could work. They are one of the best blackboxes out there.

Can't you still use the current wave maker on its own?
I could, but with the LOOP control (main hub) sold with the light I can't (because its the main hub and I don't have another way to control it with)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had then when I started. They will grow anything. I didn't like the way they looked though. Made everything seem out of focus.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very ironic that you bring this up, i actually went through the same thing as you, except i had 2 IC Pro’s. I ended up using them as supplemental side lighting. The black boxes are a great cheap alternative to the better LEDs. My acros and btas like my lighting a lot. Heres what i built to suit my tank
E6CCF7F5-7219-44C0-846B-70ACC0DDA1D2.jpeg

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one over my 29gal and have been pleased with it so far. Borrowing a par meter from my club to finally get some answers lol. Not many people have par charts on these lights (at least none that i found other then the ones set to 100% intensity)

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of them over my 150 gal along with 2 kessell's. Very happy with look and growth of my SPS and other corals. I don't find them loud at all.
What intensity settings, how far off the water are they mounted, and what's your tank dimensions? I have a 150 gallon gas well and I'm trying to get an idea of what everyone with 150s are running.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back