Opinions on what this nastyness is ?

2stupid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly the fish in this picture is doing fine now. 8am: feed nori , fish is normal, attacks nori and drags the clip around the tank with a golf ball sized snail attached. Did my daily water change (yay sun corals, dont impulse buy a coral because your kid thinks it looks cool)

3 hours later I got this pic from my daughter. took off from work and drove the 45 minutes home. The rest of the fish look perfectly fine, except Richard the wrasse, dead without any marks/discoloration/fuzz/spots etc.

Got home, Slurpy (the foxface in the pic) still lying on his side breathing about 4 breaths a second, gets tossed into a tupperware with some methylene blue and oxygen injected in until he started breathing normally, then into my spare tank thats been growing worms and algae for months with more oxygen, metroplex and kanaplex. Since Richard was dead, caught all the fish and am treating them too.

8 hours later and Slurpy is about 95% white gunk free free and acting normal, strangely there is no more caulerpa in the tank and he was not hungry when i got back from work.

any opinions on what this is ? All the white spots are dirty glass.

slurpy-2021-06-22.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef;

Probably 98% of the time when a fish goes down like this, with discoloration and rapid breathing, it dies. The usual cause is Amyloodinium/velvet, it is the most common acute death-causing disease. If the fish recover spontaneously, that is rare, but then that points to some transient issue. In this case, probably linked to the water change. The bleached Caulerpa also points to that. Did you dose lanthanum chloride? Could your city be dosing chloramines or alum?

Jay

OP
OP

2stupid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% normal colors today. Just missing 1/4 inch off the tip of a fin. The tupperware that he got put in with meth blue and oxygen was original tank water. All snals, crabs, shrimp, corals looking normal still.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back