Opinions & Photos Wanted... Safe to mount controllers inside the stand?

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under7_zps8f227ce0.jpg

I had a set up just like the one in the photo above. The Vortech controller pulled off the wall and landed right in the sump. The breaker did not pop and it killed my entire tank. It was about a $5,000 mistake. If you have a Vortech to mount, I recommend you buy the metal mounting bracket from Ecotech. It's inexpensive and gives you a nice hefty metal bracket that you can screw into the wall.

I will never have any electronics mounted above the glass in the sump, and if it has to be, it'll be built to withstand a tornado.

Last edited:

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know water and electronics don't mix... but I also see a lot of people that mount their controllers, lights, etc inside their stand with open top sumps, ato, etc.

I have a large stand with a large sump (1/2 covered) and have been thinking about where I want to mount my Apex, pump, return etc controllers. I don't have space to mount behind the stand and I don't really want to mount them on the stand itself.. so my question is this:

Anyone have problems mounting their hardware/controllers inside the stand? I have a lot of holes in the back to vent but I am unsure how effective that is. I cannot see any visible moisture anywhere, however we all know salt creep gets everywhere. Thoughts?

I would love to see photos anyone would like to share of how/where they mounted their setups.

TIA!

Keep in mind that in addition to protecting against equipment falling into water or water dripping on equipment, you could also have a leak in a pipe fitting where water could spray out in every direction. You might want to consider blocking off your electrical components with a plastic sheet of some sort to account for that possibility.

OP
OP
lyrical

lyrical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a set up just like the one in the photo above. The Vortech controller pulled off the wall and landed right in the sump. The breaker did not pop and it killed my entire tank. It was about a $5,000 mistake.

omg so sorry :(

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question on this thread. When I built the stand, I did not consider the sump and salt effects on the controller and other electrical components, but I did give thought to air flow. The back of the stand has large horizontal openings for cords and air to escape. Then I left a gap at the bottom of the doors to allow cool air to flow into the stand, for warm air to flow out the back of the stand.

This is all THEORY and not sure anything I did really made any difference:) For now, I don't see salt residue on the controllers or cords - just dust.

IMG_0637_zpsf4577454.jpg

This shows behind the control panel doors. The shelf for the wires somewhat shields it from the sump.

IMG_0582_zps6bf14fcc.jpg

[On a different note, my previous tank I spent much time wrapping and tucking away cords, only later to spend just as much time undoing the cords to remove a piece of equipment. This time around, all the wires and transformers sit loose so I can easily remove or change out a piece of equipment.]

Fucina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know water and electronics don't mix... but I also see a lot of people that mount their controllers, lights, etc inside their stand with open top sumps, ato, etc.

I have a large stand with a large sump (1/2 covered) and have been thinking about where I want to mount my Apex, pump, return etc controllers. I don't have space to mount behind the stand and I don't really want to mount them on the stand itself.. so my question is this:

Anyone have problems mounting their hardware/controllers inside the stand? I have a lot of holes in the back to vent but I am unsure how effective that is. I cannot see any visible moisture anywhere, however we all know salt creep gets everywhere. Thoughts?

I would love to see photos anyone would like to share of how/where they mounted their setups.

TIA!
Bottom line never a good idea. Murphy's Law......
It was a very costly mistake for me.
And I learned. The HARD WAY!
And mine was professionally installed.
Bottom line .... when something breaks..... bad things happen
Gravity = water goes down
Pumps (Hose Breaks etc.)= water goes up. Then down!
My case ... hose detached
Nothing like a firehose spraying everything with salt water.
Homeowner insurance covered most of the damage to the house
But the transformers. Battery Backups. Apex etc and etc. all lost
Yep it all looked great at the beginning all tucked away.
Nicea Nicea
If you can learn from other peoples mistakes
Its a lot cheaper
FYI The LFS didn't have insurance.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small set-up. Upper compartment is separate from the sump. Wiring runs upward through wire duct into the space behind the door in the photo.

00Nano02-12-06-15_zpsswg6nfvj.jpg

This is the upper cabinet, behind the door. Wiring in this area is out of sight.

00Nano03-12-06-15_zpsocxuo2tk.jpg

00Nano-12-06-15_zpsf68justj.jpg

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just redid my wire and use raceway in my tank cabinet. Make sure you have a Sump cover so things don't fall into the water.

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9472.JPG

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question on this thread. When I built the stand, I did not consider the sump and salt effects on the controller and other electrical components, but I did give thought to air flow. The back of the stand has large horizontal openings for cords and air to escape. Then I left a gap at the bottom of the doors to allow cool air to flow into the stand, for warm air to flow out the back of the stand.

This is all THEORY and not sure anything I did really made any difference:) For now, I don't see salt residue on the controllers or cords - just dust.

IMG_0637_zpsf4577454.jpg

This shows behind the control panel doors. The shelf for the wires somewhat shields it from the sump.

IMG_0582_zps6bf14fcc.jpg

[On a different note, my previous tank I spent much time wrapping and tucking away cords, only later to spend just as much time undoing the cords to remove a piece of equipment. This time around, all the wires and transformers sit loose so I can easily remove or change out a piece of equipment.]
I know this post was from forever ago, but I was interested to know if this setup worked well for you. I am looking to do something similar but was hoping to get some advise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back