Opinions please-AIO vs Rimless build

onemoretime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m new here but not entirely new to reefs. I’ve been out of the hobby for maybe 15 years (where’d the live rock go?!) and have instead been focusing on FW planted aquaria.

I’ve been bitten by the saltwater bug again and am in the planning phase of a nano reef. I have a 22 long rimless that I purchased awhile ago with plans of a FW shrimp tank. I actually have everything needed for the setup (canister filter, substrate, lighting, etc) that are not suitable for my new plans.

I can’t decide if I want to buy an AIO or if it would be better to build with the 22.
Any suggestions on equipment or AIO picks?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry. You'll probably be getting another tank sooner than you think, and then you'll have builds all over your place. They don't call them "breeders" for nothing. :)

And welcome!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m new here but not entirely new to reefs. I’ve been out of the hobby for maybe 15 years (where’d the live rock go?!) and have instead been focusing on FW planted aquaria.

I’ve been bitten by the saltwater bug again and am in the planning phase of a nano reef. I have a 22 long rimless that I purchased awhile ago with plans of a FW shrimp tank. I actually have everything needed for the setup (canister filter, substrate, lighting, etc) that are not suitable for my new plans.

I can’t decide if I want to buy an AIO or if it would be better to build with the 22.
Any suggestions on equipment or AIO picks?
FijiCube and a couple of other companies make AIO Drop-in kits. You may want to see if there's one that fits your Dimensions...

OP
OP
O

onemoretime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry. You'll probably be getting another tank sooner than you think, and then you'll have builds all over your place. They don't call them "breeders" for nothing. :)

And welcome!
You know, you’re not wrong. Lol

Thanks!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll look into that. I think it’s 36x12x12
technically the FijiCube ones are "designed" for the sizes they say, but since they're self contained they can go in anyspot that will fit them. No need to silicone or anything, they attach with either magnets or brackets.

BRStv does a short video on them if you search youtube for them

Uncle_Matthew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive used the fijicubes before in one of my 40's and one of my 75's only complaint is the acrylic is kinda sharp so watch your fingys when installing and the little top cuts above the internal overflows have broken due to my fat arms trying to get media from the bottom of the sump

I DO recommend installing if it gets bumped it the right way it turns into a boat if the pump is on

Carwin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby gets very expensive. Why not build the 22 and give it 6 months to a year. If you find that you are enjoying it and want to commit more resources to it, then look into an AIO that would suit your needs. Last thing you want to do is dump a lot of money into an AIO and after 6 months decide to give up. Not to be negative here, but that 22 sounds nice and it's a perfectly good way to get started. If you decide to upgrade you will still have the live rock, etc from the current tank to help seed the next one.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back