Opinions please

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 weeks ago I started my tank last week I started getting some corals (gsp and zoa’s).
I’m experiencing placement problems (if you get what I mean). I’m thinking about placing the arch closer to the back (is this ok?) and add some rocks in front of it.

Please let me know what you think!

This is the rock work:
481c5b4d287bedd3cdfc5f7e8c7092d7.jpg

Frags:
3439182da6e4f25da53b4b80efca3e13.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often seems people like arches in their tanks, but they aren't always great for holding corals.

I took all my LR and drilled holes the size of the stem of a frag plug all over the rock. Now frag plugs just slip right in and in a few months they either get overgrown by the coral or colored up with coraline and disappear . BTW, the empty holes quickly blend into the rock. Here is my tank at 18 months old.

20190110_095104 R1.jpg

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often seems people like arches in their tanks, but they aren't always great for holding corals.

I took all my LR and drilled holes the size of the stem of a frag plug all over the rock. Now frag plugs just slip right in and in a few months they either get overgrown by the coral or colored up with coraline and disappear . BTW, the empty holes quickly blend into the rock. Here is my tank at 18 months old.

20190110_095104 R1.jpg

I to like arches haha, but yes it’s bad for placement. How long can you take LR out of the water without bacteria dying?

Great looking tank!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR can stay healthy for quite a long while out of the tank. The trick is to keep it damp. I used an old spray bottle and filled it with tank water and an old towel that was wet with tank water. Some seller ship LG wrapped in newspaper and in a plastic bag to keep the moisture in and it can survive that way for a couple of days. Bacteria are pretty resistant little critters!

You could even move your arch very close to the back of the tank and then 'lean' it back so it rests against the back so it's not just balanced. Rockscapes come in all kinds of designs. Let your imagination run free!

Thanks for the tank compliment. After 15+ years and 5 different primary display tanks (sometimes more than one at a time) I finally have a tank I love and that is easy to care for.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LR can stay healthy for quite a long while out of the tank. The trick is to keep it damp. I used an old spray bottle and filled it with tank water and an old towel that was wet with tank water. Some seller ship LG wrapped in newspaper and in a plastic bag to keep the moisture in and it can survive that way for a couple of days. Bacteria are pretty resistant little critters!

You could even move your arch very close to the back of the tank and then 'lean' it back so it rests against the back so it's not just balanced. Rockscapes come in all kinds of designs. Let your imagination run free!

Thanks for the tank compliment. After 15+ years and 5 different primary display tanks (sometimes more than one at a time) I finally have a tank I love and that is easy to care for.

Good luck.

Great I know what to do.

My rocks are now directly on the glass. When I move them to te back they will be on the substrate. Is this ok?

Is it ok to add dead rock?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks are now directly on the glass. When I move them to t0 back they will be on the substrate. Is this ok?

Is it ok to add dead rock?

Rocks against the glass are OK, just be sure you get enough flow in the tank. If you don't already have a small wavemaker powerhead in the tank, at least one would be a good idea. Look at my build thread and see how crazy I got about my 'elevated' rockscape! And I have 3 wavemakers in my 40g cube plus good flow from the sump/refugium. Rocks can sit in the sand or be pressed down until the touch the glass bottom, it's not a big deal.

It's perfectly OK to add dead dry rock. Just be sure it's clean. I'd rinse or soak it in a bleach/water mix and then soak it again in old tank water after a water change. Then you should be OK. I used to change rocks in and out of my old tanks all the time when I was rearranging corals.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it myself to. And I get your point about the dead spots but it’s really in the middle and I don’t know why I did that lol.
064b87c3d76246a01480a198feb9d5f9.jpg

Looks like you have plenty of room to move it back from that picture, I like to keep a couple inches between rock and back wall for flow if possible.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank now I think it will look good with corals.

There is 1cm space between the rocks and the glass at the back.

9faa1b7875b24b40f6f22ab74a0e6691.jpg
39076e97ccd6b7236fdc628a45e703b2.jpg

This is with 1 rock less on the left side, it didn’t felt natural to me.
ecd63c75f172ac01655683ceeff85e6d.jpg

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good. I like the later pictures with the increased rock jutting out on the bottom. I also like arches, coral are not the only things in the aquarium and the fish need to hide.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks against the glass are OK, just be sure you get enough flow in the tank. If you don't already have a small wavemaker powerhead in the tank, at least one would be a good idea. Look at my build thread and see how crazy I got about my 'elevated' rockscape! And I have 3 wavemakers in my 40g cube plus good flow from the sump/refugium. Rocks can sit in the sand or be pressed down until the touch the glass bottom, it's not a big deal.

It's perfectly OK to add dead dry rock. Just be sure it's clean. I'd rinse or soak it in a bleach/water mix and then soak it again in old tank water after a water change. Then you should be OK. I used to change rocks in and out of my old tanks all the time when I was rearranging corals.

I have no powerhead in the tank atm. Planning on getting one my tank is 15 gallon my return pump is 160 gph. What size powerhead do you recommend? Do you know good and quiet brands?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 WAVs, I run them at 23% in a 6ft 125gallon tank so probably not those. Look into the smaller nanos from vortech. One of those well placed with regards to the return could easily be enough.

OP
OP
Misha

Misha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 WAVs, I run them at 23% in a 6ft 125gallon tank so probably not those. Look into the smaller nanos from vortech. One of those well placed with regards to the return could easily be enough.

Ill look into the vortech nanos. The WAV’s will be a bit overkill indeed lol probably no water left in the tank after 10 seconds.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no powerhead in the tank atm. Planning on getting one my tank is 15 gallon my return pump is 160 gph. What size powerhead do you recommend? Do you know good and quiet brands?

I have 2 of the small Current wavemakers in mine. They have worked well and they are very adjustable and can be controlled with a remote (very user friendly). They are small and make no noise. But there are a number of good, small wavemakers out in the marketplace.

BTW, I like the new/additional rockscape as well!

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the ride this hobby provides!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back