Opinions - Reefer 425XL NSA reefscape

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys n gals, very long time lurker here - bit late to the game as we’re well on the way but wanted some opinions on whether what we’ve done is functional and flow/placement friendly.

Background: we loved the idea of overhangs but weren’t sure about a point-supported island reef, so we kind of mashed this together to get some structure and visual flow. We tried to set 3 zones with middle, side and undercut placement areas to accomodate a variety of branching and plating SPS and LPS (+ shelter for the fish).

Still playing with flow, but at this point it looks pretty good.

The two pictures are the viewing angles we built it for.

What you think?

A024A34D-E321-43AE-B69B-4B73BAAC3D43.jpeg B1F2C701-69E8-4777-8C98-34D1434D0E38.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you did a really good job on the construction.

These notes are strictly personal on aesthetics.

From the left side view, there appears to be only one structure. The smaller ones all nest behind the largest and out of view. This means from the left, you won't be able to see much of anything other than the outside of the left structure.

From the front view, it looks a bit like the Adidas logo to me. Have you considered moving the order around to not have a perfect topline going from high to low?

I would try something like Medium tall, tall, short, medium short. You can also turn the / to another direction.

Well done and if you like it, and are proud of what you made, that's what matters.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this guy. He has a high to low structure(s) very similar to OP's design. Pretty neat actually.

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you did a really good job on the construction.

These notes are strictly personal on aesthetics.

From the left side view, there appears to be only one structure. The smaller ones all nest behind the largest and out of view. This means from the left, you won't be able to see much of anything other than the outside of the left structure.

From the front view, it looks a bit like the Adidas logo to me. Have you considered moving the order around to not have a perfect topline going from high to low?

I would try something like Medium tall, tall, short, medium short. You can also turn the / to another direction.

Well done and if you like it, and are proud of what you made, that's what matters.
Great points! I’ll see if I can’t separate the side view a bit more and fill in the intermediate areas to break the peaks up a bit like in air_run’s video - I like the strong line, but now that you’ve said Adidas I can’t unsee it…

But hey - impossible is nothing, right?

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this guy. He has a high to low structure(s) very similar to OP's design. Pretty neat actually.

That’s a nice looking tank - he seems to have a “front to back” movement of the scape going as well, will have a look at what can be done, thanks!

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting design! Can envision colonies of Acros on the taller structures and Gonis & Torches on the lower structures! Maybe some montis in between.
Thanks! That’s exactly what we’re going for - the first structure is set back with a side cut out specifically for some sideways growing Monti plates!

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post a video soon for a bit more depth perception!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great points! I’ll see if I can’t separate the side view a bit more and fill in the intermediate areas to break the peaks up a bit like in air_run’s video - I like the strong line, but now that you’ve said Adidas I can’t unsee it…

But hey - impossible is nothing, right?
I'm sorry about the Adidas. Once I thought it, I couldn't unsee it either.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where for fish to sleep/hide

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burn the GSP and don't get clowns with the hope they will be hosted by a nem. Took mine over 2 years.

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burn the GSP and don't get clowns with the hope they will be hosted by a nem. Took mine over 2 years.
Ah - I just found your post on that… Good lesson there with the GSP; they’ll be going on a very removable, sand-bed-isolated rock.

As for the clowns, I’m not planning on a ‘nem at this point but have heard that they sometimes adopt some LSPs as territory - that’d be a win in my book.

Happy your clowns finally deigned to grace one of your ‘nems in the end!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back