Opinions/Suggestion on different types of Chromis to add to Reef tank

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get an opinion/advice on what type of Chromis I could add to my tank to finish of my stocking of a 100gal reef tank.
I dont want the usual blue green Chromis. So I have been looking at adding either Agile, Blue Reef, or the Black and White Chromis. I am planning to add 3 of them. Which would be best suited to add to my tank?

Currently my tank inhabitants are:
1 Six line Wrasse
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Firefish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Two Spot Tomini Tang
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Bluefin Damsel

I also have two other fish on order that I will be adding to the tank in the next few weeks:
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Hawkfish

Also considering putting 2 Banggai Cardnal fish in.

OP
OP
M

Mightythias

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, but those look almost the same as the standard Blue/Green Chromis. I was hoping for something with a little more pop to really make them standout and add something noteworthy to my tank. Thats why I was looking at the Agile or the brightness of the Blue reef ones.

Last edited:

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll bump as well, I'm thinking about the agile chromis as well, but don't know anything about them other than what liveaquaria states.

Too bad everyone's spending all of their time obsessing over the 20 long questions trainwreck of a thread...

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the beauty of the chromis is in the shoal. that is just me opinion . Id get 5 of each .. lol

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your current fish list Agile chromis, a shyer species will be stressed, probably hide and eventually waste away. I have never kept Blue reef Chromis but I understand they are quite robust and may be OK.

Black and white chromis- it depends on the species-
Chromis dimidiata is robust and gets to about 3". Mine were reasonably peaceful in a group.
Chromis margaritifer Mine were a little feisty within the group, but didn't bother any other fish in the tank.
Chromis xanthurais A bit of a terror I would not have these again.
Chromis iomelas Smashing fish was peaceful both within the group (bit of handbags now and again) and with the other fish in the tank.

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only experience with blue green chormis Atlantic blue both are lovely the common blue green is very robust. the the Atlantic blues ship poorly and usually only half of the lot survive. and they are more expensive. I also had an experience with another chromis that was a yellow fish with 3 blacks likes that was sold to me by my LFS (Not sure the variety) but they were like super jerks and had to return them back to the store asap. Ive not had any experience with other types like the black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinc we are on the topic of chromis I have yet to figure out the difference btw Chromis Virdis and Chromis sp. who sell for different prices at live aquaria . I have 2 of the sp type in my tank with 4 of the cheaper kind and they shoal together . and it seems like the fish cant tell the difference either. lol

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue reef chromis are great fish. If you start with 5 you might end up with 3 though. They seem very fragile at first and then take off and do well.
I have 4 blue green, 3 bicolor and 1 blue reef in my tank now.

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only experience with blue green chormis Atlantic blue both are lovely the common blue green is very robust. the the Atlantic blues ship poorly and usually only half of the lot survive. and they are more expensive. I also had an experience with another chromis that was a yellow fish with 3 blacks likes that was sold to me by my LFS (Not sure the variety) but they were like super ******s and had to return them back to the store asap. Ive not had any experience with other types like the black and white.
These are the BAD ones . never buy them ..

Cheap and beautiful for about a week . and destroyers and ugly after that.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I happen to think the blue green ones are beautiful when they are grown up
IMG_3624-L.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding chromis, +1 on buying a couple more than you plan on having due to early deaths unfortunately. I've had two batches of blue-greens over the past decade. I got them small and lost a 2-3 each time. They fought with each other to assert dominance and there were casualties. I'm also not totally sure my flame hawkfish is as innocent as he looks.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a warning
Bicolor chromis act like damsels and are aggressive with smaller fish. They are okay with bigger ones.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back